Author Topic: fruit staves  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

fruit staves
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:43:37 pm »
why dont we see many bows made from many common fruit trees, ofcourse we hear of the cherries, and persimmon and now recently i have heard of the southern community bow guava.

what about apple, pear, peach, appricot, citrus, etc.....
anyone ever try any of these, i am curious  to what fruit trees people have used.  pictures would be nice aswell.   i'll even start it with my persimmon bow

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: fruit staves
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:00:23 pm »
     Kowachobee and I cut down some persimmon and wild orange last year.Bobs got them drying.He's made bows out of citrus.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 11:04:39 pm »
I have used black cherry and persimmon but no others. I do have an split apple log in my wood pile and have cut crab apple but it all had barber poling grain. I have always read that most fruit and nut trees will make good bows.     Nice simmon bow there. What are the specs?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jmjones38

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:11:02 pm »
I've got a peach tree that needs to be pruned way back this year-was thinking of trying a stave from that.

At work my maintenance men took out a couple of ornamental flowering cherries that were in process of dying-it's been drying awhile and I was thinking about shaving one down and checking it out. Anyone tried that?

I wish that something could be made of our greatest pest around here-wild privet hedge...it takes over everywhere.

Mark

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 11:17:45 pm »
pat, this persimmmon bow was up a couple weeks ago in its own thread, i pull it back to the top so you can see all the pictures and dimensions.

Its under "New Persimmon bow pictures"  - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:24:19 pm »
Thanks Ryan. I'll check it out there.   
  Mark, I have made arrows with privet. You can't peel the bark until it is dry but it is tough stuff and makes good heavy arrows. I have thought of trying some for a bow also.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 12:46:18 am »
Ive been toying around with some apple, but haven't got a working bow out of it yet. I had one tillered to brace and it was turning out great.( No set ) when all of a sudden bang she snapped in half on me. I attribute that one to a bad spot in the grain on the back though.(there was a black dot a couple rings down were it broke.) I believe Dave from pa (snedeker) made a nice crab apple bow not long ago.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 03:19:43 am »
Here is a bow I made for a buddy of mine. The wood is plum and it's one of the best bows I ever made. I get envious everytime Dave pulls it out. Plum is some mighty fine bow wood.

Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 05:01:49 am »
Here's a link to a sweet crabapple bow snedeker built.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3737.0.html

And this link toGordon's incredible Serviceberry bow.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3278.0.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 09:12:55 am »
 JD Duff also posted a really nice crabapple bow a year or so ago, and I believe it was maybe Medicinewheel who made a bamboo-backed plum bow? I have lots of wild plum and crabapple around here, but I haven't found a straight enough one to make a bow yet-like Pat said, the grain is usally spiraled like a peppermint stick. I've got a 'simmon log right now that I need to split.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 12:17:17 pm »
ACTUALLY, OVER THE HOLIDAYS, I PLAN ON CUTTING SOME APPLE STAVES OFF THE HOMESTEAD TO SEASON TIL SPRING...THEN WE'LL SEE WHAT I CAN DO!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 01:18:25 pm »
my first bow on PA was bamboo backed PRUNE (not PLUM as it says in the thread)
really nice bow with very good cast!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1548.msg17300.html

this bow won BOM right away (...and i'm still very proud of that)

everybody have a nice winter solstice tomorrow!

frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...