Author Topic: fish skins  (Read 2826 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
fish skins
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:30:07 am »
Got an opportunity to get some carp and buffalo skins this saturday with some fellas.They tell me the spot they go to they get 20 to 40 pounders regularly.If I get too many I'll post some up on the trading post.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: fish skins
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:23 am »
Love me some bowfishin! Nothin else like it. Have fun and post pics.. Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:41:43 am »
I don't have a rig set up on any of my self bows yet for this.Hav'nt seen anything that suits me really and hav'nt dwelled on it seriously to make something yet.I do deer,turkey,and rabbit hunt with em though.Maybe someone can show me.I live close enough to Missouri to say that I think......LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:07:20 pm »
I have made a couple of tape-on's onda lathe and they work good. It dont hafta be compicated. I use 100# braided catfish line. Several hundred yards for the same price as 50 ft of 80# bowfishin line. I use 3/8 oak dowels and oversized bamboo garden stakes with factory bowfishin points most times.. Trade points work well for smaller fish.. However i do always have with me factory fg fishin arrows for big gar and grass carp... cuz they will shread a wooden arrow and the extra wieght helps punch thru those big scales.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 02:11:37 pm »
Oh and come on over to the show me state... I'll take to a couple sweat spots ;)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 02:23:43 pm »
You don't need a reel for bow fishing just tie the line to the boat or belt loop as long as your not sticking large gar you should be good. I stopped using reels on my bows a few years  ago unless i want to shoot those 6ft gar  i dont need it
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:42:01 pm »
If your ina boat your right Sterling... Im usually in waste deep weeds or wading inda water.... No reel = tangled, dangerous mess

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 02:56:26 pm »
I never had a problem with tangaling what size line are you using ?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:58:13 pm »
I'll see what they'll be using.Think it will be off of a compound bow though.No matter.I'll figure it out cause I don't see any PICS........
I'll be sure to take some dead fish pictures skewred with an arrow.....LOL.If it's as hot a spot as they say.
BowEd
Ed

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 03:05:20 pm »
80-100# braided catfish line. It works great. Im actually talkin bout foulin the line in the weeds and brush and such. I go to alot of backwater slews and often very (large) rocky areas where line layin onda ground just dont work and definately aint safe. When your line snags on a big rock or other hindrence the arrow snappin back atcha will make ya a solid gold dancer for a second, lol.... Good luck Beadman

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:25:28 pm »
Cool no worries koan i understand that. i normally use a conoe since we have alligators in The water i really dont want to be gater bait lol i was thinking i had a reel i took off of a training wheels bow and was thinking i could make a sholder strap or a belt strap to attach the reel to you so i dont have to lash to the primitive bow  ;)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 03:41:51 pm »
Sorry Ed... Im apperently not as smart as this smart fone.. Everytime i try to post the pic my dang iphone locks up.. ???

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 03:42:56 pm »
Sterling... Thats a cool idea!

Offline wildman

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 05:10:57 pm »
Hey, Beadman give me a holler if Mo. is a bust ,and bring a fillet knife or two.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 06:45:42 pm »
this is my rig Beadman.ams bowfishing reel with a strap on traditional mount.i can mount on any bow I have.selfbows included.best thing I have bought in a while.make sure that you use ams safty slides on your arrows.
Middletown,Ohio