Author Topic: Finally found a place to cut some sage!  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Finally found a place to cut some sage!
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:59:21 pm »
Well I posted an ad on Craigslist a few days ago looking for Osage. Never expected to get a reply, but two days later I was contacted by a guy trying to clear out his hunting land and had some I could cut. Can't believe my luck! Just so I don't screw this up I want to confirm that I'm doing this whole Osage thing right.

I plan on going there, cutting the trees, splitting into staves, sealing the ends with shellac immediately and toss them in the back of the truck. When I get home I'll rip the sapwood off and shellac the back of the staves. Sound good? Any tips and tricks would be nice, this is the first Osage I've ever had the chance to cut!

Jon

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Finally found a place to cut some sage!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:22 pm »
Eat a very hearty breakfast before leaving to go cut.  Bring lotsa more water than you think you need.  Be safe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:27:58 pm »
You forgot something.  Take your camera and get some pictures of your harvest.  I would put 3-4 coats of shellac or poly on the ends and backs.  Also, read the bark and try to pick out trees with little or no twist.  I have found trees in low areas or near water have better rings.  Dead standing or fallen trees can also be used.  Good luck and be careful.  Try to find some help.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:32:18 pm »
You forgot something.  Take your camera and get some pictures of your harvest.  I would put 3-4 coats of shellac or poly on the ends and backs.  Also, read the bark and try to pick out trees with little or no twist.  I have found trees in low areas or near water have better rings.  Dead standing or fallen trees can also be used.  Good luck and be careful.  Try to find some help.

Haha okay I'll be sure to bring that. Got me my dad and a couple other guys going out. I don't have a place to store a huge amount, but a dozen or so staves and a few billets would be awesome. Thanks for the tips.

Jon

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:36:29 pm »
Well that's pretty cool never woulda thought of posting on Craigslist
I like osage

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:40:40 am »
Congrats!  Having sage access is nice!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 12:59:01 am »
If you cut more than you can store inside or don't have time to get the sapwood off you can spray the bark side down with insecticide and cover it up in a tarp ( Osage is rot resistant) so it doesn't lose moisture too fast , losing moisture too fast can cause your staves or logs to split where you don't want it to or the staves can delaminate in the growth rings , the tarp will buy you some time by keeping air from moving around the wood and pulling moisture out too fast . I cut some in July that was pushed down and some of the logs started splitting in the middle of the logs and not the ends , some of them were covered and didn't suffer any damage , the ones I had covered were in the shade also , just too much water in Osage when the leaves are on . Also watch your staves , if they try to warp on you , you might have to secure them to something to keep them straight .