Author Topic: how to build. a yew english longbow blue prints  (Read 13567 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: how to build. a yew english longbow blue prints
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 06:38:05 pm »
There's no real right or wrong with an ELB regarding stiff handle or full compass.
Personally I tend to go full compass, but the grip tends to be slightly stiffer anyhow. If you have a thickness taper going pretty much even from a couple of inches from the centre it will always be slightly stiffer there. Maybe I let it swell up a tad towards the grip but I don't deliberately put in those Victorian dips from grip to limb. (With spliced billets I'd always allow a swell at the grip... and they still explode (bwaaaahhhh :'( )
Regarding draw length, I din't mean to take the mickey. It's more a matterof style IMO.
From the pics I've seen on here you guys that side of the pond seem to favour more of a draw to the chin/corner of the mouth? Maybe it's much better for hunting (us wooses in the UK ain't allowed to hunt else nanny gets cross and makes us sit on the naughty step   :'( ).
I was just suggesting tillering to 28" would let you experiment with a longer draw anchoring to the back of the jaw if you fancied it.
A longbow's long limbs have a lot of inertia and a longer draw helps overcome that.
I mean... I ain't going to expect Rich to pull one of his shorties to 28" LOL  ;D
I probably draw 27" until I've warmed up, then 28" until I get tired (which is 6 shots later ;) ) then back to 27". I've also tried the full medieval 32" draw and it is really weird, but the eye, brain and body soon adapt and I started hitting the target.
The difference between say 60# @28" and 60# @ 32" is an extra 20% power  :o.
No offense was intended :-[. And you are quite right there's no rules, laws or great reason to tiller it to 28" I just thought once you had it in your hand you might fancy opening up and letting rip.... heck, tiller the sucker to 32" ;)
I couldn't resist this teaser pic of a full compass bow at 32" draw... it's only about 55#, but that loooong draw gives it time to build up the speed and power. No good for huntin' I expect! It's prob' one of my prettiest, if you hold a CD up to the pic it's damn near perfect arc of a circle 8)
Del
(scampers away to hide in secret cat nest)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:27:10 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 07:28:26 pm »
Oh, and BTW... you really gotta shave your head to shoot an ELB  ;D ::) ;)
Del

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 07:50:05 pm »
the demin. for h hills old alb center section just like del 1 1/4" sq. and straight taper to 1/2" sides and belly, round it off and tiller from there, with that short draw i'd only go like68" ttt so it works a little
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

owlbait

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 09:24:13 pm »
Not hijacking here, but...THANKS DEL! mm is easier to measure for a dummy like me and I am still working on a sassafras ELB that is close enough to take advantage of the dimensions you provided. Looking forward to your yew elb rrush.

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 10:47:34 pm »
Awsome advice guys ... keep it coming . I am like neo in the matrix right now im plugged in and you guys are filling me with knowlege lol
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 03:08:54 pm »
Welcome to primitive archer.....making a yew elb cross section bow is a pleasure to build....its actually very simple and should come natural to do because wood tools like to be used in that fashion

Yeah, scrappers were definitely made for elb's, :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 03:13:05 pm »

I couldn't resist this teaser pic of a full compass bow at 32" draw... it's only about 55#, but that loooong draw gives it time to build up the speed and power. No good for huntin' I expect! It's prob' one of my prettiest, if you hold a CD up to the pic it's damn near perfect arc of a circle 8)
Del
(scampers away to hide in secret cat nest)

Yes, that is definitely a nice one!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 03:24:32 pm »
Tiller it to 60 @ 26 and it should weigh 15.75 oz at 71 ntn.
The width will be what it will be.....no fixed dimensions!
Go with Del's measurements for the rough out and then, like you said, you know how to tiller. Just make it weigh close to the 15 3/4 ozs mentioned.

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 01:21:34 am »
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 09:30:04 am »
You could probably draw it a fair bit further >:D
Del

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 10:47:14 am »
I would suggest that you use a back stop behind your target. One bad release could send that rrow into someone, their house or car.
Please be safe!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC