Author Topic: shrub I.d pls  (Read 1082 times)

Offline bushboy

shrub I.d pls
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:17:50 pm »
Anyone know what this is?it grows in southern manitoba,the second photo is another tree,it's bark is very grey its may i-/2" at the biggest,grows kinda side ways and is spindley with leaves and branches only at the very top.thx's.meant to say 1-1/2. At the biggest for the second pic,thx's
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Accipiter

Re: shrub I.d pls
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:19:52 pm »
Top photo is something in the viburnum (highbush cranberry) genus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viburnum_opulus Supposedly good arrow wood, but I wouldnt pick it for a bow personally. Second pic has a few things in it, and I'm not sure what any of them are! Maybe an alder in the foreground.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:57:35 pm »
Thanks,will get a better pic of the second one.alder as I know it has brown bark with horozontal lines on the bark.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:01:21 pm »
I think #2 is alder too. Makes sense where you are. A picture of the trunk would help. Again, I have made some nice arrows of alder but there is better bow wood than this

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:34:26 pm »
Looks like mapleleaf viburnum and hazelnut to me...