Author Topic: Re-finished Tzalam Pyramid Bow, new pics  (Read 9110 times)

Offline Capt

Re: Re-finished Tzalam Longbow, new pics
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »
Was there a bow in the second pic I didn't notice one.  >:D

Grady

;D Really that's a pretty nice bow IMO. I think the longer tips (which are now cut down and look great :) ) were making it look like the tiller was more uneven than it was to me in your last post maybe. Good job. I mean it still might be a little stiff in the outer limbs a bit, but I think it's not too shabby at all, :).

EDIT: And you know, that's not to say a little stiffness in the outer limbs is really a bad thing all the time, stiffness in the outer limbs will reduce stack in the last couple inches of draw, and contribute to leverage which will contribute to a smoother draw. Although you don't want a bow working in one spot, there is a benefit to having slightly stiffer outer limbs. But of course if you go too far, like with a mollegabet, than you will have to compensate in the inner limbs to not get a crap load of set, so mollegabets have wider inner limbs (or at least should most of the time in my opinion). So there's a bunch of crap for you to chew on while you whip out your second bow!  >:D

Thanks so much for the feedback...., Ill be taking all this good stuff on with me to the next build..... Can't wait for my Osage to show up !!! ;D

Offline Capt

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 07:59:31 pm »
Shoots nice with refinished tips but not sure if there's more twang in the string? Or is that more to do with my release maybe?

Doesn't feel to be suffering any hand shock?

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 10:11:37 pm »
Hey... those tips look way better! Good job. If your bow's a bit twangy, try increasing your brace height a bit, or shoot heavier arrows. It'll reduce the hand shock, too.

Offline Capt

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 10:43:28 pm »
BTW it turned out 58" nock to nock.. ???

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 10:54:35 pm »
Can you post a full draw pic with the refined tips?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 11:04:58 pm »
Come on that's a damn fine bow awesome job on it
I like osage

Offline Capt

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 11:14:33 pm »
Can you post a full draw pic with the refined tips?

I'm pulling a little high on the string, i rushed out as it was getting dark and was getting eaten by mosquitos...

I can try for a better angle shot tomorrow... but it gives you an idea?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 11:31:28 pm »
Good for you.  If that's really your first then you're a gutsy guy with some real skill.  I'm proud of you.  Keep going with your approach.  Live and learn. You are well on your way to a lot of fun.

Are you on the mainland or baja?

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 12:30:48 am »
Well played.  Nice re-work. 

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Capt

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 01:26:10 am »
Good for you.  If that's really your first then you're a gutsy guy with some real skill.  I'm proud of you.  Keep going with your approach.  Live and learn. You are well on your way to a lot of fun.

Are you on the mainland or baja?

Thanks for the praise.. It was a testing project but thoroughly enjoyable..

To answer your question I'm on the Baja..

I'll take it as a compliment that you would doubt my word and think it could not have been my first bow...... Honestly tho I swear it is my first..... Just a practice run.. Can't wait to get my some Osage..   >:D

Offline Capt

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 02:58:28 pm »
Ok, a little update...

Here are the pics i promised after doing a little more re-work. theres a profile of the bow showing the set that it took probably from my greenhorn tillering and the ridiculous amount of humidity we have down here right now from it being hurricane season and all.

Then theres the full Draw pic i promised in better light.. Not happy with my form.. i think i did better at night with the mosquitos and all..  ???

Bests again to all and thanks for all the pointers...

BTW its shooting real nice... i blew a blunt wooden tip home made arrow right into a coconut at about 40 feet, i'm sure a broadhead would have blasted right through. ;)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 03:09:12 pm »
The picture could be effecting this but... It looks like you are not holding the string in the middle of the bow e.g. the upper portion of the string is "shorter" and the lower portion is "longer."  You want to be careful to pull the string in the same location that you pulled it while you tillered the bow, so as not to cuase uneven stress on the limbs, and increase set.

Again,  great work on your first bow.  I'm looking foward to seeing more of your work.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 06:52:29 pm »
Congrats on you first bow. Itlooks good man! That some cool looking wood there to. Very dark. I like it. Nice rework on thejps as well.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 07:39:10 pm »
really nice job on your first bow, make the next bow a little lighter, like for your friend ::) :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »
really nice job on your first bow, make the next bow a little lighter, like for your friend ::) :laugh:

I'm pretty sure one of us could whip up a bow with a draw weight she could handle REAL QUICK!  Heck I have a couple on hand, - - - what's your mailing address?   :o >:D

Oh, ...and uh, nice job on the Tzalam!  It's really an excellent first bow to be sure!

OneBow