Author Topic: Authentic middle age finish on bows  (Read 11215 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Authentic middle age finish on bows
« on: September 07, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »
I have an English longbow that I am finishing up and want to use an authentic finish as used in the middle ages. I assume so type of grease or wax was used, but does anyone know exactly what was used? Any input would be awesome. Thanks.

Jon

Offline adb

Re: Authentic middle age finish on bows
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 12:12:55 am »
I think they used beeswax and rubbed it in.

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 04:34:13 am »
This may be rubbish, so take it with a pinch of salt, but I believe that a large number of medieval bows were painted with various ingredients.  To them, the look of the bow was far less important than the resilience to weather conditions such as intense sunshine or rain, so they wouldn't have cared whether or not they could see the wood grain and so on.  Lots of the Mary Rose bows were definitely painted, some with a black mixture I assume was soot mixed in with various oils and waxes.

I think, personally, if you're going to "go medieval" you should theoretically paint the entire thing with a soot and wax compound.  However, to modern eyes that seems a shameful cover-up of what is usually a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, so maybe a slightly less genuine finish of beeswax as Adam said.

I've found that making up your own paste from pure beeswax, boiled linseed oil and some form of spirit works very well in all weathers, leaves a stunning rich patina and also dries to form a hard clear coat, unlike only using beeswax which can end up getting a tad mucky!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 04:52:06 am »
... Lots of the Mary Rose bows were definitely painted...
I don't think I've seen any reference to this.
Some of 'em are pretty dark but I'm not sure there is any actual surface layer that's been applied.
To me they all looked like natural wood.
Is it mentioned in Weapons of Warre?... I can't be bothered to wade through my copy at the mo' ?
I'd have thought all the commonly available materials at the time could have been used to wipe over it, but I'd guess beeswax/animal fat as the most readilly available. Plenty of soot about of course, but I'm not sure what soot brings to the party other than getting absolutely everywhere and making a heck of a mess.
Any surface finish would need to be flexible...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:14:43 am »
When I was at the MR the first time I didn't handle any that appeared to be painted, however the last time I went I was chatting to the curator and he pointed out quite a few that had a tinted finish on, that he personally believed to be a paint of some sort.

Trouble is of course, they were all a bit wet for a while, so we can't really tell!  Like I said, it may be total rubbish.  I don't think it's in Weapons of Warre, and it's def. not in Secrets Of The English War Bow so I could be completely wrong.

I do however think that if you're making thousands of issued weapons, putting something on them that is hardy enough to withstand transportation, weather and the damage of battle in general makes sense, and beeswax alone, or oil alone probably wouldn't do much. 

I dunno.  Probably should have double checked before mentioning it, but it was just a thought.

Offline Robby101

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:29:28 am »
I seem to remember reading that a bow finished with green paint cost slightly more than one not. In the era of the long bow, those folks were well able to make paint's that were fairly durable, probably from a linseed oil base. Using various mineral and organic pigments they probably soon discovered just what worked as a drying agent when mixed with boiled linseed oil.
Personally, I like the glow of the natural wood. I suppose you could research 'varnish' and find something suitable. They had guilds that kept secret many things that were unique to their particular craft, but also were constantly looking and experimenting with new things to enhance that art.
I have made varnish by boiling linseed oil with lead oxide ( that frosty white powdery stuff found on lead when exposed to the elements), and exposing it to direct sunlight after application. It makes a soft but durable finish, but I would still wax it. If you found what they were using for green pigmentation back then you could add it to that mix and you would have paint.
Curiosity leads to discovery, or in some cases re-discovery and those wonderful 'AHA' moments! Good luck in your search!!!
Robby

Offline Robby101

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 08:45:26 am »
I just had another thought. They also made paint using milk as a base and for that most of the work has already been done for you, as authentic milk paints are readily available. Also the components for egg based (Tempera) paints are sold. Both are very old formulas.
Robby

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:27:35 am »
Linseed oil and lamp blacking (the fine soot that collects on the globe of oil lamps,etc.)  was a known finish for furniture at the time. The lamp black was just used to enhance grain  . A stain of sorts.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 01:56:18 pm »
I would guess tallow would be up there as a common finish, as all you need is fat to make it. It would probably be pretty common I would think.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Robby101

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 01:04:33 pm »

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 07:00:35 pm »
Not sure but I think he's referring to an era a few hundred years prior to that ,  Robbie.  A lot changed in that many years.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 08:40:28 pm »

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 02:49:13 am »
The Turkish were using highly refined varnishes by this time. Rmember these people weren't numb nuts! They would certainly have had a very durable finish on the bows ....there is no way they would have put up with losing 20 yds distance due to humidity on the battlefield.
Try making your own varnish from pine tree resin as a start.

Offline Robby101

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 07:05:35 am »
This was just a quick search on my part. I am sure similar finish was used in the long bow era and even before. Many of these recipe's were discovered lost and rediscovered many times over. long before the Mary Rose set sail. Those folks were no less intelligent than modern day man, and as usual people tend to equate intelligence with technological development, not the same.

Offline Robby101

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:27 am »
Mikekeswick, I am not sure a varnish was made from pine resin, but turpentine was for sure and was mixed with boiled linseed oil as a drying agent. It was definitely a component of early varnishes.
As far as the long bow being long gone by the eighteenth century, perhaps not as long, and gone as you might think. No less than the genius of Benjamin Franklin pondered and wrote about the use of the long bow in our struggle for independence!
Robby
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:17:10 am by Robby101 »