Author Topic: The "Longhorn"....(tri-lam bow)  (Read 25333 times)

blackhawk

Re: The "Longhorn"....(tri-lam bow)
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 12:47:40 pm »
thanks again to everybody for the responses  :D  :D

Dan ive never used birdseye in any of my bows,but if I run into any ill be sure to use it...and those aren't mountains...just another river gorge,and pa is one big rolling hills,and there aint any "mountains" in pa  :P  :laugh:

you imagine correct greg  ;)  ;D

I do owe ya one steve.....BUT NOT this one  :P  ;D

Gus that's a peace sign some tripped out hippy chiseled into the rock many moons ago  ;D  ;D

ok dave...you make cookie cutters too,and lets not forget the ones you've made with effingglass  ;D  ;D

easy bob..i stood real still  :laugh:

but isn't the surprise soooo much more fun dbb.....I love it when I open a new bow thread and my jaw drops n drool falls out  ;D

Offline skarhand

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 09:56:41 am »
That is absolutely beautiful!! Love the contrasting woods.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 10:05:32 am »
Beautiful bow Chris in every way.Well thought out piece of work.Good name The Longhorn.....LOL.Looks like our cripples have avoided the rack of shame.I agree the pics on my bow don't do it justice either.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 12:22:02 pm »
Wow what a beauty!  Awesome bow Chris!
1’—>1’

Offline danny f

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 02:21:20 pm »
thats a beauty. well done. and great pics too

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 02:40:32 pm »
gorgeous!!!!!!
exceptional!!!!!
super nice!
...................... I wanna shoot it!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Brian Hoffer

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
wow

blackhawk

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 07:45:37 am »
Thanks guys  ;)

Yeah Ed ...they survived....time to make another ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 08:44:00 am »
The laminations did'nt quite do what sinew will do for reflex though did it.
BowEd
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:37 am »
That's opening a can of worms Ed...if ya wanna go there I will  >:D

Most anything I say here is prob more speculation than cold hard facts...BUT...I think im achieving the same results as a sinew backed bow as far as retained reflex goes...I started with a hair over 5" and it sits at 3 1/2" still at rest after well over 300 shots(I shot it again sun eve too)...and that's on par for a sinew backed bow with the same starting setback...now the all wood laminate is going to have to be designed a little differently(but not too much) to attain the same results....I just went a lil longer is all...I think glue lines help set reduction,and if designed right will retain good reflex when done...and there's so many variables that can happen that one could be better than the other and vice versa...I hate speaking from a retained reflex point of view,or performance point of view when there's so many other things to take into consideration,as you know....like the maker of the bow is a big one etc....you know all the rest...now it obviously won't be able to be as short and draw as far,but again accommodations in the design will make up for that...one of my intentions with this was to do exactly what you speak of,and that's attaining sinew like results when done without having to mess with sinew and all its messiness,the wait to dry,and its finicky in rh changes...and to me is a more stable bow...to each his own tho ;)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 09:46:35 am »
Very nice.  Excellent workmanship
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 09:50:21 am »
Yes as far as set loss while tillering it is comparable to a degree and not.I got one here that started out with 8" and retained 6".That's tillering it to 29.5" too.Stable as a pound of gold.I'm up for the debate and will go there too.As far as stableness goes I store them right and they don't fluctuate that much for me unless you think 3 or 4 pounds is a lot and that's over a whole year.That's being totally honest.
I'm a farmer and don't mind my hands getting dirty as far as sinewing bows.It's an adventure to me and fun.Pros and cons each to their own and it's just a personal point of view.You have a wonderful bow they are a blast to shoot.You have fun your way and Ill have fun my way.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Roy

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 11:42:19 am »
Awesome bow dude..

blackhawk

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 11:46:14 am »
Thanks Marc ;)

Hey Ed...that's NO fair  >:(  :laugh:  ;D ....now your talking a bow with more starting reflex and a horn belly.....do I think all wood lam bows can achieve that kind of results? Nope...not without grossly over designing it to the point of negating the positive effects it would create....we both know even a thin multiple all wood lam bow is not going to take that kind of stress because the wood won't stretch and compress that far....on average and in general when it comes to bows(selfbows or all wood lam bows)with more than 5-6" of starting reflex I think sinew at the very least is needed....that's what I've found out in my own experiences..anything more and it just crushes the wood too much and creating unhealthy non bend resistant wet noodle spongy limbed wood...lol...now you can try and make an all wood lam bow with lots of horn bow like setback,and have it "survive"...but your more than likely not going to get the same results set wise......

Aaaaaaaaand....your rebuttle? ;D

blackhawk

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 11:48:24 am »
Thanks ole fart ole buddy o mine  :D