Author Topic: Tiller job  (Read 1237 times)

Offline RyanR

Tiller job
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:16:47 pm »
How does this tiller look.  I don't think I can take anymore off or I will end up with a 40 pound bow but I just want to know where and if there are problems for future bows.  Thanks.

Offline Newindian

Re: Tiller job
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:24:38 pm »
Excellent, good job
I like free stuff.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:18:45 pm »
Looks good. Make the left limb your top and you'll be in good shape.

Jon

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:05:06 pm »
I would stain it finish it and kill a deer w it :)
Looks good.
Greg

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 04:15:43 pm »
Very nice! So nice I would think twice about leaving it drawn for so long to snap a divi.:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:09:24 pm »
Needs mroe bending out of the fades, the right limb is worse than the left.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 06:22:05 pm »
Yup... I'd get that right fade working a bit more.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 07:39:14 pm »
Didn't even notice till it was mentioned. But yep, that right fade is stiffer than I first thought and needs to work more.

Jon

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 08:36:48 pm »
Ryan...if you don't have anymore weight to play with id leave it alone at your stage in the game and experience level...that tiller is fine and more than acceptable...the fades being stiff is just nitpicking IMHO,and sometimes a personal preference..and there's even advantages to having a longer stiff center section to a bow as long as limbs are still properly designed for the intended weight and draw...some folks have different prefereces and opinions on what "perfect" tiller is...and its just good info for future bows...plus that's on the tree and not being pulled in your hand...at that far in the tillering I wanna see it and judge it by it being drawn in the hand..your bow is being held on center,and being pulled on center,and that will not reflect how your hand holds it and where your fingers pull the string...with the right limb being bottom and being drawn in the hand it might improve the look of your tiller ? Or worse? .....just my two cents
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:43:19 pm by blackhawk »

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:02:04 pm »
Ryan, I don't comment on a bow's tiller unless I see an unbraced picture of it first because I believe that's the only way to judge whether the limbs are working evenly throughout their length. Got an unbraced picture hsndy?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline RyanR

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:12 pm »
I don't have a unstrung picture but I can tell you it has some set midlimb. I am still trying to figure out this tillering thing and I had the limb tips a little stiff and shot it that way. I have since taken some off the tips to get them bending. Just trying to learn how they should bend.  This is  a hickory backed maple board bow so I didn't waste a good stave.  Still fun to mess with and it actually shoots good.  Thanks for the advice.