Author Topic: A few opinions needed on fixing negative tiller  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
A few opinions needed on fixing negative tiller
« on: September 05, 2013, 05:30:57 pm »
This bow was previously 62" and I think? 54@28. I also piked it because it broke on one limb when trying to remove the antler nock. The bamboo backing cracked beneath skins that were on and I removed the skins. After examining the BB I stripped ( cut and filed ) it off to the original osage back.

After replacing the bamboo and tillering I have ended up with a 1/8" negative tiller. Top limb is 1" longer and it is the stronger limb so by piking that limb I will only make matters worse.

I've pulled it on the tree so that you can give your opinion after looking. Sorry for the switch on the pics. The turkey feather is glued under the sealskin on the bottom limb., and it is a sleeve T/D system.

It's now 58 1/2" TTT and pulling 48@28. Approximately how much weight could it loose after more scraping on the bottom limb?

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline sleek

Re: A few opinions needed on fixing negative tiller
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:42:30 pm »
Given that your tiller is off on both limbs in different spots, both limbs will need scraping to get them symmetrical.  Honestly, I would leave it be and shoot as is, but boy are those limbs bending!

And to answer your question, If you were to scrape the limb to match, I bet you would loose 7 lbs. Also, in doing so, you would turn the best limb you got to match the worse looking one. If you must do something, take the bamboo back off, heat treat the weaker limb to make it stronger, then re tiller, and after the tiller is good, glue on the backing. You wont loose any weight that way.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:47:15 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 06:48:24 pm »
That's a great tiller Fred. Your hammering that poor girl though! She'll take it. Two things. Besides visually seeing a "negative" tiller, can you feel it? If so, flip the bow over and make the top the bottom. Limb length is irrelevant.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:55:27 pm »
Sleek, I appreciate constructive criticism. But you didn't really help without explaining where your eyes see wood should be removed. I may just leave it as is as you suggested. First selfbow made by someone else that I've ever tried to save but it has been a task and I might just call it a lesson in futility.

PD, Thanks, it shoots fine with a little  hand shock which I attributed to the - tiller and it actually feels a bit better flipped upside down.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:58:33 pm »
The tiller is dandy, dont touch it. The hand shock is probably tip weight, I have a habit of letting extra weight tag along myself. If it feels better flipped, flip it and call her a bow.....again!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
The tiller is dandy, dont touch it. The hand shock is probably tip weight, I have a habit of letting extra weight tag along myself. If it feels better flipped, flip it and call her a bow.....again!

I 100% agree. The tiller is excellent, it's just the limbs are bending so hard they look like they are stiff on the outer portions. I would flip her, redo the handle and call it a bow.

Jon

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:25:58 pm »
Thanks again PD and Jon. The only thing my eyes detected was possibly a slight stiffness in the top limb from 5-10" from the tip. I'm going to take the advice from you both and remove what I think is safe from the belly side of the tips although there isn't much there. I'll shape the groove at 45 degrees down to the belly and slight wood removal to more of a point toward the back.

Hey, and another question. Does bamboo need tip overlays should I decide to use a low stretch string? I'm also finishing up 3 more osage bows and same question applies to osage.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:32:06 pm by Fred Arnold »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:29:03 pm »
Fred, tiller is pretty good. I'd leave it like PD said. Just switch the limbs.
I can also see by the tiller you are drawing that to its limit.
Things to watch in the future. I like getting more near handle wood bending on those bows that are short for the raw as your is.
How is the stacking?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:43:50 pm »
Hi Jawge!!  ;D The bow is only drawn to 26" on the tree and no stacking even at 28" and no finger pinch. I shot it yesterday although only 6 into the hay bale.

I had to have some major surgery mid May and shot my first arrows since Feb 2 days ago. I didn't think I was going to be ready for hunting season the 15th but WOW, I feel great. Today I actually pulled to my full 29" draw shooting my 47#@28 old 60's RWH. I'm being cautious, only 12 arrows a day even when I wished I could stay out there all day long.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 08:13:20 pm »
I'm not sure which way you have the limbs now, but if that bow was mine, I'd make the right limb the bottom.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:03:22 pm »
adb, right limb was the top but It looks like it's going to the bottom. It even felt a little better that way.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:09:39 pm »
i agree, the tiller looks great! With these higher stress designs alot of times it LOOKS like the inner limbs are bending too much, but in reality the tiller is perfect, takes longer to make a decision i guess lol! Nice work!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:21 pm »
Hi, Fred! Glad you are feeling better. Hope you get a deer with your bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:57 pm »
The bow and tiller look great.  Was it hard to work on a self bow that someone else made?  I have never had to do that.  I have never gotten a self bow made by someone.  It seems like it would be hard :o

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 11:08:30 pm »
I am actually the second owner of the bow. I purchased it on another site. The dreaded tick came while one of my sons was shooting bales with it out back. I didn't hear it but was away off to the side.
He told me about it and after close inspection we could see air under the snake skins. It turned white under the skin in 2 different areas. After removing the skin you could see where the bamboo had cracked and was splintering in both of those areas.
I had some refinish expertise on FG bows but had never dealt with bamboo backing before. Tapering and sanding the backing was a tedious process. That"s the reason that at this point I mentioned earlier about just shooting it as is. Done, good, call it a day and move on. This had been 1 1/2-2yrs waiting for me to get it done. I'm not done yet but it's as good as done except for minor sanding and True-Oil.