Author Topic: Anyone tried the Chainsaw in a can?  (Read 4708 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Anyone tried the Chainsaw in a can?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 01:35:49 pm »
here is what I use, extreme fast and noiseless:
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/712499/Silky-Big-Boy-Klappsaege-360-mittel.htm
the blade is 14"
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 02:14:13 pm »
Geeze would'nt it be better to ask.Instead of playing games.No matter what kind of saw you use.You go to the barber enough times and your gonna get a hair cut sooner or later.I'm not a saint here but other people get me in trouble more so than myself nowadays.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hamish

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 08:08:57 pm »
If its already felled you can probably get permission to take whatever you want. If not you can do a sneaky night time run.
 A 4lb one handed sledge, and a couple of steel wedges fit nicely in a backpack. Take some glue and a hatchet as well. Split staves, work them into bow blanks, seal the back, then cart off/hike out, with only the good stuff.
                                                 Hamish.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 02:55:23 pm »
I wasn't being sneaky about it last time.  But I figured for insurance or some other reasons they would not let me use a chainsaw.  There are a couple big (knee high) trunks on the ground of solid osage. 

That would keep me going for years.  8)  May go back soon and get more.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 05:53:58 pm »
You should all be ashamed of yourselves. I have never done anything like that.  From what I understand they make a cordless chainsaw that uses batteries like a cordless drill and are very quiet.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:20 pm »
 Cordless chainsaws are good, quiet compared to a petrol saw but don't expect the batteries to last long. Also they are no good for anything more than about 6" dia, due to their short bar.
 Woodcraft used to have some pretty decent large Japanese handsaws that are still light enough,  to pack and yet aggressive.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 09:32:49 pm »
I pack a Japanese pull saw that I picked out of free pile at a yard sale. It still is sharp, and weighs next to nothing. I take it with me whenever I go into the woods. It cuts better than everything else I've tried. Works for me!

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 09:36:06 pm »
Whitewoods that have been down for more than 2-4weeks probably aren't usable for bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 04:52:45 am »
DO NOT BUY OR MAKE A CHIANSAW IN A TIN - THEY SUCK! I got one thinking it would be quick and silent. Wrong! For a start you are removing a large slice of wood for nothing, my chainsaw in a tin is 6mm wide, that's a lot of wood to remove in a cut. They take way, way, more energy than a normal saw. They are NO substitute for a good saw, way inferior, a bit of a gimmick. Advertised a survival tool - you expend so much energy using it to cut wood you would be better off not using it at all. IMHO

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 01:32:41 pm »
DO NOT BUY OR MAKE A CHIANSAW IN A TIN - THEY SUCK! I got one thinking it would be quick and silent. Wrong! For a start you are removing a large slice of wood for nothing, my chainsaw in a tin is 6mm wide, that's a lot of wood to remove in a cut. They take way, way, more energy than a normal saw. They are NO substitute for a good saw, way inferior, a bit of a gimmick. Advertised a survival tool - you expend so much energy using it to cut wood you would be better off not using it at all. IMHO

I was wondering about that.