Author Topic: Making a new string...  (Read 892 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Making a new string...
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:22 pm »
I'm used to making strings out of B50 and kinda know what number of strands to use per a given draw weight.  A friend has given me some 8125G string to make a few strings out of, ...but I'm not entirely certain what weight requires what number of strands with it.  I understand that is is supposed to be a bit better performance string material.  Anybody used it before??? 

With B50, I have always made double ended Flemish Loops.  I assume the same should work just fine with this material.  ...or is there a particular reason to use a different pattern for it?

Though I have no way to validate it, I found one recommendation online saying:
     "...about one strand per 4 to 5lbs of bow weight, erring on more strands will give you a steadier shot."

OneBow

Offline dbb

Re: Making a new string...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:17:19 pm »
Cant remember what one strand 8125 has in breaking strand but its alot.
i use 10 strand double loop for my 60#bow and i have had no problems what so ever after thousands of arrows.
Many who shoot flight use even thinner strings.
The new materials are thinner so i use a thicker serving thread to match the nocks instead.
Just dont skimp on the loops, if the ends are too short some materials have a habit of creeping.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline nick:uk

Re: Making a new string...
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:30:58 pm »
i use 8 strands on my 80 lbs flight bow the new stuff with the GORE is odd it has this small white fiber running through it :o