Author Topic: Can you identify this seedling?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Can you identify this seedling?
« on: September 04, 2013, 02:40:57 pm »
I planted some osage seeds early spring after stratifying them in the fridge over the winter. Here's a pic of some of the osage and an unknown healthy culprit in the background. The leaves don't resemble anything in close vicinity to where I started the plants outdoors. Can anyone tell from the pics what it is?

I have determined that it isn't black walnut, elm, mulberry, and don't believe it to be hackberry. I do have some ash on the property but not an abundance.  All of the seeds looked the same so I'm almost positive it's something that flew in and settled with the container of the osage seedlings.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Can you identify this seedling?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:42:43 pm »
Cottonwood
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:51:54 pm »
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »
Well hell, maybe I'll find a use for cottonwood. :laugh: I've got a monster down by the creek that has a branch bigger than most of the trees on the property and surprised there isn't more of it out here.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:58:00 pm »
That pic doesn't look so much like cottonwood. Looks like red oak.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:13:38 pm »
Definitely ain't Red Oak.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »
The picture of the seedling looks to be cottonwood or a poplar of some kind - the picture of the full tree doesn't look like cottonwood - I'd be inclined to agree with Pearl drums on the red oak, but I'd need to see a close up of the buds

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »
Cottonwood lots of them along river here
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:09:43 pm »
I saw two Osage, I thought? :(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 11:36:37 pm »
The seedling is cottonwood and the tree is cottonwood ( twisted and deformed from years of wind and weather).
I bet you find a lot of morels under it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 11:40:50 pm »
I grew up where cottonwood is nearly the only tree to be found and I got no morels.

Your seedling is definitely cottonwood. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:20:22 am »
Lots of cottonwood down on the river and shrooms but not many cottonwoods on the creek up here and never have found a morel.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 02:25:42 am »
Lots of cottonwood here in Oklahoma and just one if the trees I look for when mushrooms are out .

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 11:24:02 am »
I feel like rambling....

Cottonwood was historically used in mines for support beams. The reason being that when cottonwood is stressed it makes rather loud popping noises before it breaks. That would give the miners at least some warning when timbers were about to give way.

Another interesting cottonwood story involves the second Battle of Adobe Walls (June, 1874) where some 700 Comanche and Kiowas led by Quanah Parker and others lead an early morning attack on about 28 or so Buffalo hunters in the Texas Panhandle. What saved the buffalo hunters was a cottonwood support beam cracking and waking up everyone - that and the hunters were armed with Sharps 50 cals - it's a long story and one worth reading about.

Hollow cottonwood logs were used by American Indians to make drums, masks, Kachinas and other carved items - it carves well and is still being used today.

So, that's what I have to say about cottonwood.

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 01:36:49 am »
smoky, Bassett NE