Author Topic: fletching question  (Read 4497 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

fletching question
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:04 pm »
Why are feathers from certain birds the only acceptable fletching for arrows and atlatl darts?
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: fletching question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:27:53 pm »
Their legal...........Feathers from protected birds are illegal to have.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:02:21 pm »
Can you use feathers from other legal bird other than turkeys or goose? Like as in crow or other waterfowl or is there certain characteristics that a feather must possess to be suitable?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:17 pm »
I believe if they are taken by legal methods they can be used but don't quote me on that. The Federal law that protects birds was established in the early 1900 to prevent plume hunters from wiping out birds for their feathers that were used in the fashion of the day. There might also be state and local laws  to consider.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 11:46:28 pm »
Not sure about which songbirds might be protected, but all raptors and birds of prey are protected--eagles, hawks, owls, vultures; not only protected from hunting, but from even picking up their dropped feathers.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:49:28 pm »
Songbirds, or migratory birds, are all protected except invasive non-native species like pigeons, starlings, English sparrows, and Eurasian collared doves.

In some parts of the country pet parrots have escaped and are living in the wild, they'd be legal too.  Mind you, some folks might get upset if you shotgunned Polly off their porch!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:05:59 am »
I've used primaries from Sandhill Cranes and Geese... Specks, Snows and Canadas. Any primary from a large bird will usually do the trick. Don't mess with Raptor feathers. Not worth it, plus most are usually too soft anyway.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:41:43 am »
OK I think ill try crow feathers since they're in season and there are plenty around.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:46 am »
I wouldn't touch dead crows or ravens (ravens are protected anyway). They're the vector host for West Nile Virus.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 11:58:56 am »
I stick with good old turkey feathers.  For me its not worth the risk of using anything else.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 10:02:52 pm »
I wouldn't touch dead crows or ravens (ravens are protected anyway). They're the vector host for West Nile Virus.

No way you can contract West Nile from the bird.  The bird is not the ones that infects, it is the mosquito that feeds on blood from one infected animal and then feeding on another animal. 

This was a recent subject in a large convention of avian rehabilitators.  Several noted veterinarians weighed in and explained why it doesn't matter, heck you can eat a bird carrying WNV. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 10:55:51 pm »
Yea..... I wont be eating crows anytime soon doubt they taste any good. I sometimes help the local farmers reduce the crow pop around here. I use the carcasses for bait during trapping season.

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 03:41:55 pm »
Do Eurasian Collared doves pose any threat in the US. I have a pair that have roosted in my yard this year and last year. I know they are legal to shoot but I haven't messed with them. If they pose a threat they would be easy to remove.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 09:56:10 am »
I am hoping to get some Canada goose feathers soon. I think they would be good for rainy days

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 10:35:32 am »
I take my two year old son to a few parks around my area and make it a game to pick up "the big, clean, good feathers" when there are geese or ducks around. I have a few turkeys living behind my house that leave feathers quite often and one was killed by coyotes I think and this left the field covered in wing and tail feathers. I have found roadkill turkeys (pretty rare to find one) and they have some salvageable feathers. by the way, when salvaging either feathers or any part of a road kill animal including sinew its a good idea to wear gloves and have an air tight container for the remainder of the trip... stinks up a car real quick if ya dont.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!