Author Topic: 2013 XMAS TRADE SIGN UP AND RULES !!!! CLOSED !!!!  (Read 32283 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Re: 2013 XMAS TRADE SIGN UP AND RULES(READ THE RULES THOROUGHLY)
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:08 pm »
Yeah i agree, ill contact calandergirl about drawing names

+1

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2013, 12:18:40 pm »
Work space?!? Is that what the pile of wood chips and saw dust I stand in is?

NEVER totally clean your work space!  You can damage tools if they fall onto an uncushioned floor!  I have broken two spokeshaves when they fell to a cold hard concrete floor.  Osage shavings are great for that kind of support.  Also, standing around on concrete is hard on your back, the shavings help with that, too.

At least that is what I tell myself. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2013, 12:48:12 pm »
Work space?!? Is that what the pile of wood chips and saw dust I stand in is?

NEVER totally clean your work space!  You can damage tools if they fall onto an uncushioned floor!  I have broken two spokeshaves when they fell to a cold hard concrete floor.  Osage shavings are great for that kind of support.  Also, standing around on concrete is hard on your back, the shavings help with that, too.

At least that is what I tell myself.

I didn't mean to have it done like your Mama wanted your room cleaned.. >:D  My work space ain't exactlly spic and span  ;) Just give yourself enough room to make another mess
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2013, 01:04:09 pm »
I just wanna know how Stoker knew my bench and work space is so mucked up that I don't have room for another mess.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2013, 01:41:55 pm »
This boat has more than one seat....... :laugh: :laugh:
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2013, 10:06:54 pm »
man, if I left a pile of shavings on the floor mom would kill me.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:45 pm »
My work shop is my fathering laws, so it is quite tidy every time I leave.  We'll most of the time ::)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2013, 10:31:04 pm »
I don't think its a workshop unless u have to step over everything and dig your tools outta the saw dust and shavings. I don't remember what my garage floor looks like :-[
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2013, 10:36:29 pm »
To me it's kinda nice to do a good cleaning after a project is finished.  I'm not talking so much vacuuming out the bandsaw or anything, just a good cleaning.  Somehow it is like a clean slate or a blank canvas.  It keeps the clutter out of my mind :o Sort of

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »
Blaflair2 you would feel at home in my shop.  just to get to the planer, there are two small tractors, a four wheeler, two three wheelers and three riding mowers.  Throw in a huge Hobart welder, very large air compressor and somewhere in there are two generators. 

I'm in, pm sent.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2013, 11:01:07 pm »
Lol all the shot I have to step over is wood and logs. I make furniture and stuff. Not to mention my light is about 15' into my garage. So I have it all mapped out in my head and can get there in the dark. Except when my fiancé decides something "belongs" in the garage, it's like a land mine, I'll be climbing and boom. Man down. Women? Who puts a shovel and wheel barrow in the garage?!?  >:(

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:38 pm »
Lol all the shot I have to step over is wood and logs. I make furniture and stuff. Not to mention my light is about 15' into my garage. So I have it all mapped out in my head and can get there in the dark. Except when my fiancé decides something "belongs" in the garage, it's like a land mine, I'll be climbing and boom. Man down. Women? Who puts a shovel and wheel barrow in the garage?!?  >:(

Lol that's funny.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2013, 12:22:08 am »
Mines outdoors on the far end of the open patio deck and if the wind doesn't blow it away I have to rake and shovel it when it gets too deep unless I still have room to kick it under the workbench. When it gets close to winter, Like now, I scoop it up and throw it into 55 gallon drums to use for kindling in the "indoor shop". Now inside is a different story, I only use it during inclement weather and keep it cleaner than a whistle (BS).
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2013, 01:11:31 am »
Just something that everybody should think about. If you spend 30 mins where you can on your project as often as possible then you will get a lot farther than if you don't. I'm realizing just how important it is to spend even just 10 mins on the reading every chance i get so i can be prepared and have the reading done. Also, once you get your guy you should seriously do whatever research on them and then start working on it so you have 2 whole months to work on the project and another month if absolutely necessary. if you spent 30 mins 4 times a week for 8 weeks then you have spent 16 hrs. If you spend 1 hr 4 times a week you have spent 32 hrs total! rather than cramming into one or two weekends remember to give yourself a break and just do the work when you can. If you have some time where you could be doing something for yourself then you could instead be working on the gift. Those that really don't have much time, just pick something simple so you can complete it with excellence and feel proud that they get something of quality rather than a bow or what not its way better to get a set of arrowshafts or bone arrowheads rather than a full blown bow if the arrowshafts or arrowheads are of quality. If you still don't have enough time then you can just send raw materials so they can get something, better to get something that you thought carefully about than to get something that you slapped together and get it late you know what I mean?

Ok, done with my talk... I think that you all already know this but i thought that i would make sure to tell you that as a receiver i would much rather get something on time that i know is something that they put some thought or time into rather than a slapstick job on something(this hasn't happened to me)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2013, 01:37:58 am »
I'd take a bow  ;)

But seriously... I would