Author Topic: Wish me luck  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Joec123able

Wish me luck
« on: September 04, 2013, 03:40:45 pm »
I know where one little row of hedge is and in about an hour in gonna ride out and see if the owner will let me cut some I sure hope so because it's the only Osage around here  >:D lol the worst they could say is no
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

Re: Wish me luck
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:04:19 pm »
I've never asked to cut on someone's property before how should I go about doing it ??
I like osage

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:30:53 pm »
Beer has usually worked for me >:D

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 04:36:56 pm »
for me asking permission for hunting or cutting bow wood is always a harrowing expriance, make sure they know they are getting something in return like maybe you could fix fence, trim trees maybe shoot some coyotes or trap some coons, landowners are alot more likely to give you permission to do something on thier land if they know you are trustworthy and your not just looking for a freebie or a handout, and above all the best way to make a landowner your friend is to SHUT GATES BEHIND YOU IF THEY WERE SHUT BEFORE YOU GOT THERE, theres nothing like letting livestock out to get you run off the place with a shotgun.      Duck
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 04:43:13 pm »
Humbly!  Take a self bow with you to show what your planning to do with the wood and if you get permission make sure that you clean up after yourself.  Be careful! Cutting hedge out of a tangled hedge row is DANGEROUS!  The clean up will be almost as bad.  You are wrong about that being the only hedge around you.  Cross the river and angle southwest towards tecumseh NE.  You will see it everywhere.  Its also easier to get permission from farmers in that direction although I don't know why that is.  Your appearance will make a difference as well.  I would NOT
recommend showing up at a farmers house looking like an Omaha banger.  I'm not saying, just saying. ;)  Josh

Oh...and good luck!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 04:55:52 pm »
Lol thanks I think in return I will offer to make him a bow from the wood I harvest. I will have to head through Nebraska and look to but don't have gas for that right now
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:31:39 pm »
Something else to consider.  I use to cut hedge posts all winter long when I was your age.  It was hard brutal work and farmers know that.  The standard deal was to cut them one post for every three I took.  They were always very happy with the arrangement.   This is something you should consider because most hedge trees only offer a small section of bow wood the rest is usually to twisted or otherwise character ridden so it is just wasted mess that you have to clean up.   Now hedge posts only have to hold wire and have one relatively flat side.  Character don't hurt a thing.  A smart hedge cutter will take this into consideration before dropping the tree.  The more useable parts, the less to be disposed of.  Josh

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 11:14:51 pm »
Ended up driving out and couldn't find the hedge row  >:( but hey gun doc I appreciate all the advice
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:46:24 am »
Anytime Joe!  Next time I'm delivering around there, I'll keep my eyes peeled for some hedge closer to town.  I've delivered to most of the towns in that area and there are always farmers in the COOP's suckin down free coffee and shooting the breeze.  So I might even make a contact or two.  You never know.  Josh

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 12:53:34 am »
Sounds good ! I know there's more Osage around me somewhere it's just a matter of finding it. Either way my plan is to cut alittle mulberry tommorow I'm looking forward to it
I like osage