Author Topic: First Atlatl  (Read 2047 times)

JacksonCash

First Atlatl
« on: September 14, 2013, 03:18:12 pm »
Hey guys-
I decided to try my hand at an atlatl. No idea what I'm doing with it, but found some guides on paleoplanet that should help. Got started today, with a piece of red oak I had left over from my first bow. Here's some pictures of the roughed out shape:

Side profile:

Spur end(from the back):

Handle end:

And a view of me holding it:

I need to find a carving tool to dig out the channel for the dart, and I need to figure out something to use for the spur. I'd like to use some antler, I think. I'll have to beg around at work to see if anyone has some. If not, I might be able to work one out of a dog bone I've got for various projects.

Not sure if I'm going to do finger loops, or a cross bar yet. Any suggestions on this?

Still has some shaping to be done, I see some goofy looking spots on it as I write this. I think I'll color it with some rit dye (haven't figured out what color yet, but bubby's used it on a few bows and I think it looks great).

Thanks for checking it out!

Offline burchett.donald

Re: First Atlatl
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 09:35:45 pm »
Jackson check out Cave Man Only "Oooga Booga" discussion area there's a lot of cave men over there that will help you. Lots of pics to look at also... have fun
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;