Author Topic: another hiking staff  (Read 1053 times)

Offline BowSlayer

another hiking staff
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:16:24 pm »
hey all when i saw the hiking staff in this thread http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41630.0.html i wanted to give it a try so i went to my firewood pile first and found nothing (too short) so i wen't to my stave pile, this is now mostly yew  so i picked out my most knoty, twisted, wobbly and shortest stave and set to work. after abot 5 hours this is what i have. not as impresive but i like it. there is a bit by the handle where a branch came of which has left a nice patch of heartwood. there are also some other patches of heartwood in places. i still need to do some sanding but thats about it for now. let me know what you think and thanks for looking

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Stoker

Re: another hiking staff
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:17:46 pm »
Coming along real nice.. The more you work on it the nicer it'll get.. I have a yew branch I've been looking at for a while.. It's a walking or beating stick... Hmmmm gives me another idea..
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:58:32 pm »
ive got a wickedly awesome hiking staff of locust that i kinda lit on fire and then lightly sanded, then coated with enough urathane to drown a squirrel.
it looks like its coated in glass(plus its a little zig-zaggy)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48:08 pm »
ive got a wickedly awesome hiking staff of locust that i kinda lit on fire and then lightly sanded, then coated with enough urathane to drown a squirrel.
it looks like its coated in glass(plus its a little zig-zaggy)

Sounds Cool. Got any pics? 
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:01:37 pm »
I made one very close to that.  I did the spiral all by hand with a lock blade knife..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 08:05:44 pm »
I made one very close to that.  I did the spiral all by hand with a lock blade knife..

Same here.  Got any pictures of yours?
London, England.

45#@28"