Author Topic: My New Friend Jack - finish pictures added  (Read 30504 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: My New Friend Jack
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 03:33:28 am »
 ;D  great story and cool pics.
Passin' it on... that's what we love.
It's great when people really want to lean and take the trouble to come and have a go.
6'3"  :o keep him away from those warbow boys George  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 07:55:29 am »
Wow, thanks you guys.  I woke up sore this morning, guess I need to do a little more draw knife work to stay in better shape?

Hey Del, I told Jack he could have any stave in the shop...except a certain piece of English yew.  I think I might put the draw knife to that beauty this week.  It's funny how having a friend over in the shop gets my bow making juices flowing again.  I'm thinking it might make a really nice recurve?  Also, I'm sad to say that a friend I have in Yorkshire told me a couple weeks ago that he had a tree service come and take out a large yew tree in his yard.  I nearly cried, can't believe I had never told him I made bows. :'(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 08:49:08 am »
   SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
   Looks like you've made a friend for life.
   Nothing makes my heart soar like helping a young man out.

ROY
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:12 am »
Good on ya George.  That's what it's all about.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 10:50:39 am »
You lucky dog George! Teaching somebody who is truley insprired to learn is awesome. Im hoping my son finds that spark some day.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rps3

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 12:07:22 pm »
I love a good story with pictures. Keep posting your progress together.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 12:15:00 pm »
Great story George.That won't be the last one that boy makes.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dbb

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 01:11:14 pm »
You guys here are great to learn from,but i sure wish i had some "hands on" teaching in the start like that boys getting.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 01:12:52 pm »
Great thing there George, teaching a young man a primitive craft. Seems he has a good deal of skill and enthusiasm which makes it all the more enjoyable for both the mentor and the teacher. That young man is going to learn more
than bow making skills from this experience and one day you can bet he'll look back fondly at what you did for him and he'll pass it on to another young person down the road. Very rewarding ain't it George, your a good man. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 08:10:22 am »
Jack emailed me that he's thinking about how to get a snakeskin for his bow.  His parents take a dim view of him terrorizing the local water moccasin population. ;)  This would be a great time for a local rat snake to make an appearance around the shop.  Might go dove hunting later today and will keep my eyes open for snakes if I do.

Roy, I totally forgot about that string. :-[  I'll make it up today and send it off tomorrow.

I'll do better with the camera next Saturday, but I don't expect us to be shooting it as it'll need at least 2 heatings to take out twist.  I agree that this won't be his only bow.  I gave him the option of me doing the heat bending this week so the bow could be shooting next weekend, but he wanted to learn that part of the process.  Gotta  love that.  :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2013, 08:55:31 am »
Cool story, George. I wish I had gotten started that young and had a mentor like you!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline jstason

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 01:58:16 pm »
Sorry it took so long for me to get on here guys, had to wait for admin approval :-\. I was just looking through some old threads on the Texas boars forum and I saw George offering to help people build their first bow, he's a great teacher for anyone looking to get into primitive archery and I can't wait till Saturday.

Jack

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 02:34:31 pm »
That's really cool George  ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 03:48:31 pm »
Sorry it took so long for me to get on here guys, had to wait for admin approval :-\. I was just looking through some old threads on the Texas boars forum and I saw George offering to help people build their first bow, he's a great teacher for anyone looking to get into primitive archery and I can't wait till Saturday.

Jack
Welcome aboard Jack :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 04:20:09 pm »
Hey Jack, good to see your post.  I'm looking forward to Saturday too. ;D

George
St Paul, TX