Author Topic: My New Friend Jack - finish pictures added  (Read 30499 times)

Offline gstoneberg

My New Friend Jack - finish pictures added
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:36:22 pm »
I got a private message on the hog forum the other day from Jack who I didn't know:

I was looking through some old threads and saw that you make bows and teach other people how to make them as well. I was wondering if you still did this as I have recently discovered traditional archery and self bows and I am interested in making my own bow.

Thanks in advance
- Jack

I live for this, somebody who wants to learn how to make a bow and needs some guidance. :)  So, today Jack and his dad, Mark, arrived at the shop about 10:15.  We wasted very little time picking out a stave and getting started.  This is some of the wood we first cut over at Thomas' place 2 or 3 years ago.  I had split this stave out and the bark had fallen off, so I painted the back and put it in the shop.  Consequently there are no borers and it was a perfect candidate for Jack's first osage bow.  It'll need some twist taken out, but it wouldn't be as much fun if it were straight.   Here he is at 11:00 with most of the sapwood off.

Jack's impressive with the draw knife.  He took to it like nobody I've ever taught.  Here he is finishing the back to a growth ring at 3:45 in the afternoon (and a big lunch of smoked wild pork interrupted his progress).

He never needed a bit of help once he understood what he needed to do.  When he finished up and called it a day at 5:20 he had both limbs bending and was closing in on floor tiller.

Jack's a pretty tall young man, nearly 6'3" at age 15, so we made the bow 68".  We may shorten it though, his draw length is right at 28".  He's shooting for 40lbs, but I'll bet we go higher than that as he can pull more than that already.  Never have I had somebody new to bow work crank out a bow like Jack has today.  And, it was 103 degrees outside, probably more in the shop.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to make a point and talking to Mark.  I broke 2 or 3 beautiful pieces of flint, one I broke 3 times.  It wasn't my best knapping day, but it was a great day of making bows.  Life is good.  They made an appointment for next Saturday morning...can't wait.

George
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:49:29 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline H Rhodes

Re: My New Friend Jack
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:49:22 pm »
That is what it's all about right there George!  Jack looks like a fine young man and I bet we end up seeing a bunch of bows from him in the future.  Way to go.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 08:57:39 pm »
Good on ya George!  Looks like he's a natural.  Josh

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 09:20:44 pm »
That's cool. I won't ever forget the people who helped me. They gave me staves and said "figure it out" turns out I was a natural too. No bows have ever been broken by me  ;)
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:56:42 pm »
Good for you George. Looks like a happy young man in those pics.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 09:58:29 pm »
Way to go George.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 10:18:41 pm »
Looks like you've made a new lasting friendship George! Great spirit and fellowship!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 10:55:12 pm »
The world would be a much better place if it had more people like the ones on  here! Good stuff.!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 11:08:36 pm »
Super cool George!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:28:10 pm »
That's awesome George! Sounds like he'll be ready to hunt by next month.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 12:45:18 am »
Thanks all. It was a very good time.  I'm looking forward to next Saturday already.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline 4dog

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 12:47:12 am »
Cool ,,just cool.  8)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 01:35:25 am »
I sure wish I had a guy like you around when I was a kid

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 02:11:36 am »
awesome George, make sure to book a couple extra sat. so ya can teach him how to knap a point :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DuBois

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 03:11:59 am »
That is great. Good job to you both! Hope I can experience something simillar someday with my, or someone elses kids.