Author Topic: Hunting accuracy challenge  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Hunting accuracy challenge
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:26:59 pm »
Labor day Weekend hunting shot challenge. Try this out to learn how ready you really are for hunting season. Cut out a 5 inch circle and pin it to your target. Take 10 cold shots at this target from 10 yards. Only 10, no more, no less. Only Cold muscle shots. No warm ups, no pushups, just cold muscles just like you would have in your blind or stand waiting for a deer to come by. Step out side, take a shot, collect your arrow and go inside. No practicing in between to keep your muscle warm! Go inside and watch some football and in another hour or so, go out and take one more cold shot on your target and go inside. Repeat this every hour until too dark to shoot, then wake up in the morning and start again. No warm ups! Do this until all 10 shots are taken. If ALL 10 cold shots are inside the circle, make another 5" target and start again at 12 yards and so on until your shots land outside the circle. If ALL your 10 yard shots are not inside this circle, step up to 8 yards and start over. This is a true test of your cold shot accuracy. Feel free to post a picture of your target if you like, however this isn't a competition to see who can shoot the best, the only person you'll cheat is yourself in this game. If you are truly honest with yourself on every shot, you'll learn where your real hunting shot distances are. I am not comfortable shooting a deer at any range that all 10 shots are not inside this circle during practice! Here is my 10 yard test. I am confident at 10 yards, time to step back and start a test at 12yards. (If you think 5" is too small a target, take notice to the next small doe you kill and lay a 5 inch circle on the vitals, you'll be surprised how easy it is to actually make a less than perfect shot in any larger a circle)
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Hunting accuracy challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:35:17 pm »
Should we run around the house 3 times before we shoot to simulate the adrenalin rush? >:D   I really do pay attention to the first arrow I shoot and it definitely is different. I usually shoot one arrow and then pull because I shoot stone and don't want to chance busting an arrow. Not that I'm that good just because of Murphy's Law...It is different than shooting half a dozen in a rhythm. Point taken and enjoyed your videos too...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:39:02 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:42:47 am »
  I do that same thing alot but I don't do the ten thing my bale about 15 yards from my shop.
  Am out at my shop everyday. Thats the first thing I do evey time I go out to my shop. Then every so often I'll walk out a shoot a arrow. I've did it this way for years.
  Another way to see just how good you are is I stump shoot a few times a week. If you think your good shooting across the yards try this. You'll so find out your not so good.

Ever since I started shooting tradational 30 years ago. I to donald have only shoot one broad headed arrow at a time. Exspecially when I started makeing shoot arrows. Takes to much time to make a arrow to do any different.

PLUS WHO DON'T NEED THE EXTURE WALKING.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:08:20 am »
This is a good way to know fer sure. Im gonna give it a try.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:29:20 pm »
That's some good practice right there! Back in the day, when I first got started shooting trad bows, I would shoot one shot everyday. Had an old guy tell me that's how he practiced. By the end of summer, I was consistently grouping them at 20  yards. I should probably start back up doing that. This sounds like a fun challenge. Will get at it in the morning.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 10:27:16 am »
Sounds like good practice.  That first shot is the only one that matters, huh?  I have never had a deer wait around for me to warm up!  I am in.   :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 04:07:08 pm »
I started doing this after I read your article. I haven't got past 12 yards and Im lucky to get past 10 yards ever. Its harder than one might think.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »
it is pretty tough.  I missed one at 12y and felt like crap!..lol   I've got it since covered and working on 14y... pretty sure this is my limit on the ground... may not even be able to do it. first shot was dead center at 14y... only 9 more shots to go
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:45:02 pm »
I am not happy with my results.. :o
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 07:35:30 pm »
It's easy to get down on yourself about it.. but it makes you think about how you really shoot. Took an honest man to admit you're not happy with the results... I've been there too.  I bet there are a lot of folks that tried it, didn't get half of them in there and will remain silent on the issue.   I've been shooting this test a few years now, but last year was the first year  I actually consistently passed it at 10 yards!  been working hard to get my groups tightened up. Been working hard on my shooting and making my arrows more consistent. I feel good at 12y.  still working it out at 14....but probably wont pass..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Tarponnut

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:59:12 am »
I'm going to give this a try.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 01:47:46 pm »
I've got to jump on this.  I'm sure it won't be pretty but I need to step it up. I'll try to get this going this evening.
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 03:15:18 pm »
Last night was an 8 yard night for me. Its a very enlightening drill Parnell.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »
basically.... this drill sucks...lol   >:D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 04:01:24 pm »
I think in the back of our minds we can all get caught up in, "when the time comes, Ill make the shot". Even though we cant in the backyard each and every time.