Author Topic: will this hurt it  (Read 4341 times)

Offline david w.

will this hurt it
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:08:05 pm »
I bought a perfect red oak board today and on the way home it was in the bed of my brothers truck.  It is snowing out and 1 side of the board was exposed to snow. so now it's wet and i wiped it off with a paper towel.

will that moisture hurt the bow?  I dont think it will because i work so slow and it will take a while before i start tillering it but i wanted to see what you all thought.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

whatareyadoin

Re: will this hurt it
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 04:13:03 pm »
I would let it dry before working it, My experience with wood is expansion and contraction caused twist and checking and surface Cracks, At least thats what I learned in industrial arts I was an A student. Sorry about the Bragging.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 07:58:30 pm »
Naw won't hurt it David, stand it in a corner for a few days to dry and all will be well.
Post some pics of your progress, we like pictures ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:05:29 pm »
That's what I'm thinking David, surface moisture dries up quick from what I've learned here - few days aught to be overkill......
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 08:16:31 pm »
i checked it and now i cant tell it was wet.
Can someone tell me what weight i should shoot for at various draw lengths while tillerring.  Final destination weight will be 50#
It will be 2"wide 66"ntn and backed with linen. I might be able to unback this but i think i should since it is my 2 bow

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:17:33 pm »
I used to worry about leather an wood getting wet, then I remembered animals and trees are outside 24/7.  Provided you let it stabilize, it should be OK.  

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 08:18:23 pm »
There are  buildalongs on my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 08:24:53 pm »
Can't help you with wieghts vs length but Ya might want to consider keeping at at least
68" to start, you can always cut it down later. i think this gives you a margin of safety.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 10:25:27 pm »
thank for all the help.  The grain in this bow runs perfectly straight from end to end and when looking at the grain on the end it looks like ///  could i leave this bow unbacked?  I think this is a much better looking board than the one i made my last bow from

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 04:55:15 pm »
As long as the /// doesn't run off the side it should be fine.

As for wieght, as long as you never pull it past 50#. A tillering tree allows you to do this easily, but putting it on you tillering stick and testing where 50# is before pull it back to any length should work. At least in theory ;D.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 09:37:25 pm »
  David,you can't go wrong following Jawges site.It has all the information on board bows you will need.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 09:42:19 pm »
Quartersawn wood (///) is a little tougher to judge as far as grain.  You can see the growth rings on the wide side, but what you ahve to be concerned about is assessing the grain on the short sides.  This is done by checking the little checks that show how the wood fibers run.  If they run straight along the length of the board then you are in business.  If they run off the board, then you better either back it or find another piece of wood.  It'll mean that you don't ahve continuous fibers running along the back of your limbs, which is important to making a selfbow.

Good luck, the wet thing is no big deal as you have figured out.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline david w.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 10:55:10 pm »
thanks for replying.  The grain is very staight and only has a few run offs, but i will back it with linen.  Today i did more work in a few hours than i did in 2 months on my last one.  Hopefully it will be done this weekend

o ya it is 2" wide 66" ntn and it will have a black walnut riser and with a shelf.