Author Topic: Keep Osage yellow?  (Read 5174 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Keep Osage yellow?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 03:54:41 pm »
I do not think sunlight has anything to do with it. I think its just the air. Even when sealed air still hits it

Offline dbb

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 03:59:12 pm »
That's what I heard dbb. The thing is I have a large amount of osage in my basement that hasn't seen light in 3 years, its getting darker every week? Zero UV hits it.
Then there is multiple factors in work,i have seen designs masked on a bow in the sun here on PA.
And your stash darkens with no uvexposure...hmm actually makes sense,those old fenceposts that are dark all the way through...
No way uv can shine inside.
Well i guess the uvlaquer delays it a little bit...and THEN make a new bow  ;D
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Marks

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 04:00:15 pm »
Somebody vacuum seal a piece and stick it outside in the sun.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 04:10:23 pm »
Good idea Marks, i assumed it was a combination of UV and oxidation at work. All i know is that I like osage!
45# at 27"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 11:25:41 pm »
Howdy,  I happen to be proud of how dark my favorite bow has turned.  Proof of a lot of use!   My dad was a wood turner and he always said wood turners would apply sun tan lotion to osage in order to slow the color change.   So, you can slow the color change by using a finish with UV protectors and then topping off with your favorite sun tan lotion .   I wonder what deer think about the smell of coconut oil?     Ron

I'm picturing the Coppertone kid in the little polka-dot bikini, but this time the bikini is camo and there is a buck whitetail pulling on the seat, not a cocker spaniel!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 01:42:16 am »
Paint it Yella.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 04:24:47 pm »
Currently I do experiments for speed browning osage.
I'm working with ammoniumhydroxide, damp in a plastic foil

you get an at least 2year old looking osage in just a few hours ...

But I've heard of some chemicals that hinders the aging of wood, I will search for that.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 06:22:20 pm »
Many moon's ago the osage indians found the great yeller tree and made bows from it.
after hunting with it, the deer and buffalo were scare off by the great yeller wood.
so the tribe did a fire dance around the great trees (haya,haya,haya,haya,haya) and prayed to the god's to change the great yeller wood to a darker color
and so it was,
 the great yeller wood slowly turned a darker color, and the tribe thanked the god's .
Believe it or not!
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 08:33:15 pm »
Well I'm conviniced it's the sun either way just one good day of shooting, your bow will be another shade darker I had my bows handle wrapped this was a newly finished bow shot for hours in the sun went home took the handle wrapp off and it already had a tan line on it after one day So I'm convinced that at the least the sun speeds the process up
I like osage

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 01:55:49 am »
For a somewhat more definitive answer ......http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/preventing-color-changes-in-exotic-woods/     
Turns out we're all on the right track.   Air, UV and time and osage always turns brown!!!
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 01:20:49 pm »
Thanks MP!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!