Author Topic: Knife made from combat boot.  (Read 3217 times)

Offline sleek

Knife made from combat boot.
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:51:37 am »
I used to be in the Navy and loved the 5 years I spent in. I also loved the steel toed boots I was issued. So I was upset when I finally had to retire my old boots. But I decided to give them new life. I cut out the steel toe in them both a year ago, and just tonight got to making my skinning knife I been wanting. The sheath isnt made yet but will be made from the leather of the boot, and the necklace it will hang from will be the old boot lace.

This wasnt easy to do. Forging the bent steel toe flat was a PITA and it still tore open in two places. But lucky for me, the shape it took between the tares was just what I was looking for in shape. As thin as the material is, it was hard to get it to the power steering fluid quench fast enough. I am still not happy with how hard it is so I may take the shingles off and redo it. When put to my belt sander for some stock removal, it lit up like a sparkler so I imagine this is high carbon stuff. I may try a water quench but am worried about it breaking. Anyways, here are some pics. I am happy with it, especially knowing I can go back and try again on the quench.

Any comments good and bad are very welcome! I am trying to get warmed up for the KITH...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Knife made from combat boot.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:20:34 am »
Nice looking knife.  Heat up one of the scrap pieces to the critical temp and quench in water.  Some of the steel I have works great with a heavy salt water.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:43:18 am »
That is a really kool way to recycle something you love into something you really love! Im not one for throwing out things of future usefulness either, now I have a great idea for old boota from work!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:18:32 am »
That is really thinkin outside the box... Love it!!.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DGF

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:56:21 pm »
Cool little knife. Love the idea of using all the materials from the boot itself.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 01:16:35 am »
On of my blacksmithing mentors use to heat up knives and quench them in old motor oil the blacker the better....put a nice temper on the blade and a pretty blueing.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 04:29:04 pm »
Thats cool sleek! I've gotten rid of several pair of steel toed boots, wish I woulda had that idea.  Post pics when sheath is done too.  8) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 04:36:19 pm »
Man, that is as creative an idea as I have seen lately cool idea!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 09:46:19 pm »
Nice handle looks good.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 01:54:59 am »
Ok, not sure how I feel about the sheath, but here it is for now. I may make another, but I do like how the boot lace will fold the sheath in half to secure the knife in place so it wont come out.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:09:47 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 11:56:49 am »
Cool project!!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 01:15:10 pm »
Very cool use of something special. 8)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 05:39:51 pm »
If you end up trying this again heat the steel to critical temp and then let it air cool, this should help avoid tearing it when you go to re-heat and flatten it. Then once you've got it into the shape you want with the edge profile done you can re-heat to a critical temp then quench it in either oil or salt water (my preferred quench medium) After that's done slowly heat it to temper and then you should have a pretty good knife out the steel toe! Sorry just my two worthless cents here.
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.