Author Topic: Take Down Sleeve Problem  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

Take Down Sleeve Problem
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:07:12 pm »
I have some flop in this sleeve that I just put on a couple of days ago. No side ways give just when I pull it up and down I have a little give. Any body got any tricks or ideas on how I can keep  this from moving? Dean

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Take Down Sleeve Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:53:37 pm »
I use pure beeswax in the sleeve of mine. I had the same problem, slip the bow together, put it in the vice with pads and gently tighten. Go slow, it may take a few tries. You don't want to overdo it.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:10:41 am »
If I have some movement I take steel epoxy and rub it on and push the bow together and then pull them apart and let the epoxy dry, then lightly sand it.  It should fill the voids some.  I have also squeezed them a bit like Fred suggested.

One comment on your brass sleeve.  Looks like you violated the backing more on that than your steel sleeve.  I try to lay it out so I am not violating the back.  In some bows (esp bamboo backed bows) that would cause it to raise a splinter or separate the backing.  I've even put overlays on the backing to further protect the back of the bow.  I've done quite a few T/D sleeve bows now. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:28 am »
Tap the back of the sleeve with a ball hammer, and you'll get a nice snug fit. You'll be able to tell where you need to tap by the sound it makes. Then coat your brass I sleeve with wax.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:34:40 am by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:55:21 am »
Thanks fellows for the ideas. Looks like there is more than one way to skin a cat. Gaur this is Yew and they were not sister billets. One piece had a little more of the white sap on it spots than the other piece. I chose not to thin those spots since it was not the same all the way down the billet. I haven't touched anything on the back of the billets. Thanks again. Dean

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 08:21:07 am »
  I had the same problem with one of mine.
  I DRILLED AND TAPED (SET SCREW) MY SLEAVE IN THE FRONT.
  Cut the set screw down so it was flush with the sleave.
  This worked fine.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:24:47 am »
Dean, if you haven't already found a solution, another fix is to stick a piece or two of masking tape around the insert, not to hold anything, but just to take of space and tighten the fit.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:51:46 am »
Great idea, crooketarrow!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 11:01:34 am »
I have the same problem on the take down that I'm working on, just a little play up and down but super snug side to side. I'm interested to see the ideas here too.