Author Topic: Rim Fire Yosemite National Park  (Read 1712 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Rim Fire Yosemite National Park
« on: August 30, 2013, 12:26:27 pm »
For those of you who sent words of concern for my safety, Thank you!

The Rim Fire is now the largest in the nation. It went over 201k acres last night. Less than 50k in the park boundary. They will be doing a very aggressive burnout operation in an attempt to stop the fire before it burns the whole north end of the park. They will be attempting to make a 20 mile long mile deep black line! It will go from the northeast end of Hetch Hetchy reservoir up to White Wolf Campground and back to the 120 junction at Crane Flat.  If it keeps going it is headed to be the largest fire in California History.  At this time it is still 20 miles from where I work in Yosemite Valley and is more than that from my home and is burning in the opposite direction.  You can look it up online at www.inciweb.org or wildfiretoday.com or Google: Rim Fire, California

Stay safe, Have fun, pray for firefighters across the nation.
Keep smiling - makes people wonder what you are up to!
Ben

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Rim Fire Yosemite National Park
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »
Ben thanks for the update and glad to here that you are in a relativly safe area, Hope  all goes well with the back fires. Stay safe Bob

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:47:19 pm »
I've been following this one online and in the news.  Just flat-out scary stuff.

Those big sequioas can handle the little ground fires, but a crowning fire like this one is more than even those amazing giants can withstand.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 12:02:33 am »
Stay safe, Ben.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 01:16:05 pm »
The back fires that have been started over the past several days have contributed to an unhealthy air quality in Yosemite Valley. Local business are reporting rapid declines in their Transient Occupancy Tax revenue. Temps are again forecast for the upper 90s today!  High temps and lots of smoke makes for a ghost town like effect on a theoretically busy holiday weekend.