Author Topic: Off-road biking, anyone?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Off-road biking, anyone?
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:37:05 pm »
Any off road bikers here? I have an old huffy(old enough to be made in the USA) that I got- no shocks, wide tires, 26" rims, gears barely work..
Anyway, its a lot of fun to take it to a nearby park with some off-road trails with a friend and just ride around.

Anyone else do this?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Off-road biking, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:11:59 pm »
Mine has gun/bow/ fishing rack on the handle bars.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:26:11 pm »
OHH Yes!!!!!!!!!!   not  so long ago  I raced road bikes, cyclocross, mountain,and track  bicycles  really  dug 24 hour mountain bike racing!!!!   now if I didn't own 12 or 15 high end bicycles,,,,,,,,, I'd  get  a " Surley  Pugsley fat bike"   for sure!!!!   BTW  check these out,  fat  bikes  will take over the woods      Soon!!    BTW  wear  a helmet!!  JeffW

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 01:01:15 am »
Down hill mountain bike racing looks like so much fun going miles up a mountain then riding down but I don't have the money to buy the 5000+ bikes specially for that purpose plus all of the gear
I like osage

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:14:37 pm »
you don't need a super friggin awesome modern bike.
Go for a old huffy or schwinn. Really good quality.
Check craigslist- so far me and dad have gotten 3 bikes off of it(all were really good)..
and my current mountian bike is free.
go try some off road trails. England-idawild park, is close to me(well, reasonably), has an amazing frisbee golf course... and has freakin awesome bike trails.
you don't need much. A water bottle, and a wrench...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:18:34 pm »
  Did  someone  say  Disc Golf!!!!!!!    I  friggin  love  that  game!!!!   and no  you don't  need  a high end  bike  to go off road.  just be safe and wear a skid lid for your head!  JeffW

Offline Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:29 am »
my husband and I make motorised bikes (we use the beach cruiser style). I was one pulled over by a local cop for doing 60 in a 40 but he gave men  a warning it seems the judge would not believe a 60+ woman was pedaling over 60 mph  >:D but it was fun zooming past the traffic jam  ;D.

These bikes are fun on trails and in the woods but u have to be careful.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 05:15:14 pm »
  Ok  Jeanette   now  we  need pics!!!   JeffW   Please

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:12:59 pm »
Hel yeah love it. Use to ride alot then developed carpal tunnel in both hands. I dont ride much any more.  :'(
Always learning something new.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:43:36 pm »
Been riding trails since the 80's!  I'm working on a short bow set that I can ride with bow/quiver/knife.

Jeff - I know that bike your talking about.  That's what I need down here where I live and all the sugar sand.  I saw an article years ago where I guy rode a ridiculous trek through the Australian Outback, probably 1000 miles or something on one of the Surlys with the balloon tires.  Awesome photos and story.
1’—>1’

Offline Jeanette

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 04:25:31 am »
JEFF : I wish I had a camers, I had some pics on my verison album but they don't have the album any more. Will try and see what I can do.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 09:59:29 am »
I love MTBing!  I like doing it the hard way, single speed rigid.  I got a Redline Monocog 29er earlier this year that's an absolute blast.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 06:53:41 pm »
I love MTBing!  I like doing it the hard way, single speed rigid.  I got a Redline Monocog 29er earlier this year that's an absolute blast.
lol my front derailer is the working one...
not much in the way of gearshifting. one-sprocket is more reliable IMO.