Author Topic: Lets hear about your Most Epic/Embarassing/Ridiculous Misses  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Marks

Lets hear about your Most Epic/Embarassing/Ridiculous Misses
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:31:53 pm »
Looking for some funny, embarrassing, self esteem draining, Lucy picking up the football and Charlie Brown landing on his back kind of miss stories. The kind you don't like to talk about.

I haven't gotten far enough in the primitive world to have primitive miss stories but I've missed plenty of animals with other weapons. This past season I missed a 150# Boar standing still at less than 10 yds. with my scoped .270 rifle from my tree stand. He had no clue I existed and I got fancy and went for the head shot. My nerves got the best of me and I flinched hard. There were some squirrel dogs on the neighboring property giving the pigs heck. I shot every bullet I had that day. I missed another group of pigs at 15 yds running but go figure I killed another pig running at 150 yds across the field on my way back to the truck. They were everywhere.

Monday I missed another hog from 20 yds broadside with my .44 mag. Again, he was clueless and I choked.

Back in High school I had a big 5 pt feeding in a corn field with 5 does around 100 yds or so. I shot 4 times and 4 misses. The poor buck didn't know what to do. he kept running in circles. The 5th and final round in my gun hit but it was pretty embarrassing.

Offline lostarrow

Re: Lets hear about your Most Epic/Embarassing/Ridiculous Misses
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:57:28 pm »
Last fall, shooting at a grouse on the ground through a hole in some Spruce boughs. misjudged the trajectory and the arrow hit the branch squarely at the top of the hole , stopped dead and promtly fell to the ground.about 5 feet in front of me. The bird was as confused as I was and offered a second shot.

15 years old ,hunting Deer with a Savage lever action. Doe and fawn quietly came past ,offering a shot at the Fawn.  Took the fawn with the first shot, but in my exitement , cycled a round through without firing  ,............ took a second finishing shot and missed ,as it dropped just as I pulled the trigger.  I then ejected another unspent round  before walikg up to finish the job with shell #5.  Glad none of my cousins were there to see that, or they'd still be ribbin" me.

Hunting snowshoe hare  in the late fall is pretty easy. They turn white ,the leaves are off and if you're lucky , the snow isn't on the ground yet. This makes them easy targets to spot. ........... unless you are in thick Balsams,...........with the occasional  White Birch. All I'm saying is that a pice of Birch bark with a small black hole  from a branch,(right about where an eye should be, if it were a rabbit) at 20 yards in the din of the evergreens will not even flinch when  confronted with a well placed shot from the 22.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:11:01 pm »
I never missed a shot.... but boy do my arrows do their own thing sometimes.....  ;D
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:46:25 pm »
Shortly after I started hunting with trad gear in the late 1980s I was sitting on a stand in a WMA near my home in Bluffton, SC. I cought movement and when I looked there were 5 bucks following a doe in heat;  large 6pt, a small 6pt, 2 four, a spike, and a nubbin. As the train approached I got ready for the shot. The first shot was over the big 6pt back so I pulled another arrow and missed the smaller 6 point and then the spike. All I had was 3 arrows with me so when they walked off I climbed down and retrieved my arrows. Within a minute of getting back up in my stand the train returned and I missed 3 more shots.
 My buddy was sitting in a tree about 50 yards away. He was laughing so hard he had to hang on the tree to keep from falling out. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:34:34 pm »
Probably back about 12-15 years ago after storing away my compounds and shooting recurves/longbows only I recieved a u-finish 68" longbow from Dan Quillian. Dan set all of his u-finish bows up with a twisted artificial sinew string w/ no serving. At the time I was shooting 2117's out of my other 55-60# bows and they seemed to shoot and group just fine with my new longbow but I'd decided I had to have a new string right before hunting season.

Well I ordered a nice string from ol'nobul ?sp off of ebay because I'd had great luck with them before and he was a great guy to deal with. Both these old boys knew their stuff and were always quick to respond to any questions. If you sent them an email with your phone # they would take the time to call and discuss it on their dime. Can't say enough good about either one of these guys.

The day before deer opening I got my new endless loop string and braced the bow up. Perfect fit with very slight twisting. Man was I pumped. Everything was packed and ready to go up to the cabin which is now my home.

Anyway early next morning I woke up and had to go outdoors for an early morning whiz. You guessed it. A nice 8 pointer right outside my door not more than 30 yards away and he didn't even see me 2 hours before sunup. 

I snuck back inside and felt like I was getting married I was so damn nervous. I still had over an hour to wait and it was the slowest hour I've ever spent in my entire life. I knew there were at least deer wandering the property.

I didn't care whether I got a nice buck or doe as long as I could take a deer with my new longbow.
Anyway I checked all the windows and open doors so as not to spook anything before I finally left the cabin to go to the area I'd picked out for sit and wait hunting. It was now less than an hour before sunrise.

Not 15 more minutes went by after I reached my destination and it's getting light. Right on the edge of the alfalfa coming out of the creek bank walks a dandy doe and she has no clue that I'm no more than 15yards away waiting in a natural draw. I've got my spot picked and just waiting for her to start browsing again. Perfect setup!!

I knock my arrow and let loose. What the %^*&? My arrow perfectly tuned to my bow goes sailing 2' over the top of her head and about 3' dead ahead of her. I missed her by a mile.

_____to be continued
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:49:54 pm »
There's a story coming to a Primitive Archer magazine near you in the future that tells more than you need to know about some of my misses. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 06:57:35 pm »
Pappy, last night, heh,heh, twice. It was only a practice run. It's for real tonite ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sweetpea

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 06:59:53 pm »
Oh, my! Maybe mullet needs to show Pappy how to it one of those lizards. Mullet can do it!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:49:35 pm »
Before I got a flintlock, I was shooting a caplock 50 cal Great Plains sorta cobled together blackpowder gun.  I had taken a few deer with it already and was wonderfully confidant of it's ability to drop 'em good.  Well, that summer I got into shooting the 125 yd gong at the blackpowder range and replaced the regular backsight with a peep.  Since the peep was so much taller than my regular sight, I no longer had to hold over at all on the 14 inch 125 yarder.  I was Rocky Balboa at ringing that gong on offhand shots. 

Well, I was a little too cocky when deer season rolls around and I just figured I would hold under a little and do just fine.  Yeah, did I test that theory on the range shooting some paper?  Nope.

I missed 4 deer at under 30 yards.  I earned the nickname Mr. Clean.  When my hunting buddy would ask me how I did after hearing me shoot, I would answer grumpily, "I missed her clean."

Finally I missed one deer at 20 yds, reloaded, missed AGAIN!  I was nearly done reloading when she ran off and stood waaaay out broadside.  Waaaaaay out to......Oh Sweet Blessed Savior Mine..... 125 yards!  And naturally, I rang the gong.

I still get a bottle of Mr. Clean for my birthday every year from that buddy. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:53:53 pm »
Pat, That's funny stuff!!! These stories make me feel better about my misses.

So a good ten years ago I missed a giant 8 point. Biggest deer I had ever seen in the michigan woods. There I am sittin in my stand, suddenly I hear all kinds of crashing heading in my direction. Out pops the head of this monster 8pt, there he sat for at least 30 minutes. All I could see was his head. Then he finally steps out, and walks by the stand at 12 yards, gives me a perfect broadside shot. I fling an arrow over his back with my glass recurve. He finds the arrow and bolts before I could get another nocked. Out of frustration, I declare it's lunch time and head for camp. While eating my sandwich, a grouse lands not 15 yards away. You guessed it...nailed him right to the tree.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:10:21 pm »
A little buck fever there, Dave  ???
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 10:43:26 pm »
I learned last season that if you lead a running buck at 30 yards by his head, you may come home with his tail. I missed his tail by about an inch. I actually looked for fur and blood on the arrow. He never knew I was there either.  Also, at 30 yards on a hill, you will overshoot a very nice 6 point if you calculate for drop. DOH! And finally, even a doe with her nose to the ground can duck a perfectly placed shot at 40 yards. all this inside of 20 min. I didnt go home with meat but boy what fun!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline wildman

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 11:16:10 pm »
I never miss ;D >:D        I have a stand 100yds behind my house that is 95% sucess rate. A few years ago I was in said stand a few does strolled by at 12yards I sailed an arrow right over the back of the last in line. Ten minutes later a Pope and Young fox treerat comes hippty hopping down said trail same spot SHWACK!!! right to his furry lil brainpan. That being said I quote the Patriot "Aim small miss small" A fella I hunted with a few years ago missed a dandy . We were on my place early filming a small buck and a probably 140" 10 pt came within 10 yds. He was tore up like a bread sandwich in the rain I was filming and muttering under my breath DO NOT LOOK AT THE RACK! AT about 15yds he stopped broadside and zing 2'' over his back , the buck looked around walked about 40 yds and spent the rest of the afternoon in plain sight munching honeysuckle. He was so disgusted he wouldnt hardly watch the film,no string ducking just a flat out miss.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:54:26 pm »
That's an easy one. I was deer hunting with an ancient Chilean Mauser  (7X57) in an old tree stand. A buck wandered up and I leaned forward to take the shot. The stand gave way when I leaned and I fell some 15 or so feet to the ground, miraculously missing branches on the way down. I didn't quite gain my composure as the deer stared at me. The dumbfounded deer just stood there - WTF? I raised the rifle (iron sights) after moving my cap out from over my eyes and missed from about 20 yards. The deer trotted off thinking, "What the heck was that noise and commotion?"

Either that or missing a big buck with my bow right under my stand when I could have dropped on its back with a Bowie knife and killed it easy. I didn't have any pins set that close.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 07:50:00 am »
I have hunted for two years on a friends farm in Madison, In. When Im down there we sit and sit and sit, so the hours pile up. Anywho, last year I finally get a shot at a buck after many hours of sitting. It was a grand 2-3 old 8 point. I hit my lower limb on my leg and stuck him clean through the neck roast. Found nearly no blood and watched him trot for a mile out of sight. Im quite certain I didn't hurt him much, but it did hurt me! I hunted so hard for that shot over a two year period, and I muffed it.............the stand wasn't set up for a good shot at all. All the same I dropped the string, not the poorly placed stand.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.