Author Topic: glue too hot? (sinew)  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Matt A

glue too hot? (sinew)
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:52:37 am »
I sinewed a bow for the first time tonight and the first bundle I dunked in my glue the ends curled up like ramen noodles! this just too much heat or maybe the tendon I had in that bundle? the rest of the sinew went just fine.  :o

Offline DuBois

Re: glue too hot? (sinew)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:57:32 am »
I have only sinewed a few but I have heard this will happen if too hot. Haven't seen it myself. Glad the rest went well.

Offline Matt A

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 02:16:57 am »
yup hoping it holds i used plain store bought gelatin from the grocery. added it and 2 courses of deer leg and back sinew to a skinny 45 inch osage stave

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:44:14 am »
definitely the heat, there's a fine line on the glue heat, I've heard it weakens the glue if over a certain temp but I think this temp is below what will shrivel sinew.  I've used the same glue that's shriveled my sinew after it cooled a minute and it worked, I think a good rule of thumb is if you can't hold your finger in it for a solid 3 one one thousands, then it's too hot, congrats on the first job though it gets easier but never less messy ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:51:36 am »
Your glue was to hot on that first bundle.  Once you started dipping you fingers and sinew bundles in it the temp dropped just enough to quit curling the sinew.  Were you using a double boiler?  I found its much easier to control the temp of the glue if you have it in a pan of water.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:30:22 pm »
what osage outlaw said! glue is too hot - use the glue can in hot water system
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Matt A

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:33:42 am »
correct you are I used a double boiler method! i just hope this stuff will dehydrate over a month or so, it's acting just like the product should (jello) at the moment.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 04:14:47 am »
If it's acting like "jello" you might have used too much glue.  In the couple sinew backed bows I've done and from the advise on here--I size the bow with a thin coat of hide glue, dip the sinew into the glue, slide my figures down the sinew to ring it out, then apply it to the bow.  It should be dry and hard to the touch in a day, maybe 2 with high humidity.

Or maybe you didn't reduce/cook the glue long enough.  The test I use is to stick my index finger in the glue.  Then tap it against my thumb.  If my thumb and index finger sticks together in about 10 taps, 15 seconds, it's ready.  Others might have a better technique.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:19:30 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Matt A

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 04:30:14 am »
oh it was tacky when I did with my fingers what you did. and i also dipped and slid my fingers down the sinew to get rid of excess also. i'm just curious if using food gelatin had anything to do with it.

it's not completely jello like. but i can still with some pressure move the sinew and it springs back to original position.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:25 am »
The glue should be the consistency of thin syrup when hot and firm jello when cool
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 09:09:35 am »
  MATT I use to sinew a good many bows. I always did this, Between layers I'd but the bow in a hot box for a while (1/2 hour). This just gets the glue,sinew really melts together. I do'nt know if this helps. But I've never had a bow returned to be fixed before or ever heard of any trouble.
  I've sinewed others with out doing this also those ended up find. I just think it helps to even out the glue and sinew and the glue bonds more evenly with the sinew.
  I put the sinew on as soon as I tiller to I can get a string on. COMEPLETELY SINEW then finish tillering. This way you tiller the bow with the sinew already on. Alot of people complete to the bow to the poundage they want then sinew the bow.
  If you have to touch up the tiller your bow comes up light.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Matt A

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 04:25:54 pm »
I just floor tillered, cleaned the back, and then roughed it up with sandpaper.
today it feels alot more firm almost hard.

my left overs i split in little pieces and it's all still jello like, can easily split it apart with your fingers. the brand of gelatin I uses was called  - Our Family.

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 05:40:46 pm »
Does hide glue on it's own provide any backing?