Author Topic: Skinning snakes  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Jodocus

Skinning snakes
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:27:52 am »
Got two frozen phytons from a firend. How do I skin them? like a rabbit, from tail to head, I suspect?
One of them is wide enough to back two bows, is it possible to do the cut on one side, leaving the belly side intact?

thanks for any advice
Don't shoot!

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
Re: Skinning snakes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:23:33 am »
Jodocus ,
      The answer is yes, the belly can make a nice bow backing as well. Normally I remove the head and start on one side were the belly meets the side. Sharp knife all the way to the tail and pull.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:55:01 am »
If the snake is wide enough I'll cut them one row of scales over from the belly scales.  If its not wide enough to get a backing from the belly scales I'll just unzip them right down the center of the belly.  I use scissors.  I get more control with them over a knife.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:12:12 am »
Killed a copperhead one day and gave it to a friend I was hunting with.  We went to his sisters house and he started skinning it on the tailgate of his truck.  I went into the house and his niece asked where he was.  I said he was skinning a snake.  Her response was, "Is it dead?"  I told her that I hope so or that was going to be one mad snake.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:51 pm »
Killed a copperhead one day and gave it to a friend I was hunting with.  We went to his sisters house and he started skinning it on the tailgate of his truck.  I went into the house and his niece asked where he was.  I said he was skinning a snake.  Her response was, "Is it dead?"  I told her that I hope so or that was going to be one mad snake.

Brilliant, from the mouths of babes.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 07:46:41 pm »
Thanks guys, the skins are off. That was pretty ugly, they had a bad smell already :o And labourous, too. The larger one was  about 6 feet, the smaller about 4. The larger one had nice firm skin, pretty thick as well, while the small one had a paper thin fragile skin I unfortunately toreabout a foot below the head.  Both look great. Air dry them now?
Don't shoot!

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:18:09 pm »
Use tacks and spread them open on a board. Stretch them a little to open them up but not over much. They should be dry in a day.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 08:39:23 pm »
Exactly what Osage Outlaw and Stringman said...

You can however leave the head on and ad it's length to the skin...
Just takes a little extra work...

Use the tall thumb tacks, they work best, so far.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 08:52:43 pm »
Pin the skins up with the meat side facing out or they will rot more. Also, a nice vinegar soak for a day will kill the odor.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:38 pm »
when I tan snakes I put the skins in a jar or tub with denatured alcohol and glycerin 50/50 to cover to snakes and let it sit in that for like 3 days then pin it to a board with wax paper and air dry amount of days for them not to be  wet anymore but very pliable and shiny.
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:00 pm »
I tack mine down and air dry them.  That has worked well for me.  I've never had an odor problem or felt the need to add any chemicals.  Once they are dry I'll take them off the board and hang them up to make sure all the moisture is gone before I roll them up and store them away.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline 4dog

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:38:38 pm »
I tack em and then salt em , not table salt, stock salt only...speeds up drying time for me.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 12:48:27 am »
I've heard that glycerine tanned hides will not glue down for backing.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Lemos

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 12:58:09 am »
I'm a fan of the staple gun myself for tacking them down, quicker. IMHO .

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 01:08:35 am »
Mp, I have bought hides like that. I washed em good in soapy water and glued em down with no problem.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others