Author Topic: First time pitch glue  (Read 2998 times)

Offline DuBois

First time pitch glue
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:16:28 pm »
Made this from pine sap collected this summer, charcoal, wood dust, and bees wax. About 1/3 each of wax, coal/wood, and sap. It seems ok but it is soft enough to put thumbnail prints in it easily. Is that too soft for hafting?

Also made up some wax an sap cakes for strings and it smells and works great.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: First time pitch glue
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:41:23 pm »
Nice.  Seems like you need to haft some arrowheads and put that stuff to the test.  I see you been eating some tangerines.  I eat the same kind.  Delicious!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:57:57 pm »
You may want to add a little more pitch so it is not quite as soft. Other than that get to haftin'!  I have a leather dressing I made from pitch, bear grease and bees wax that works great.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:21:47 am »
You may want to add a little more pitch so it is not quite as soft. Other than that get to haftin'!  I have a leather dressing I made from pitch, bear grease and bees wax that works great.
Would you melt it down again and add more? Thanks, and will be haftin soon as possible  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:54:56 am »
Yes, melt the pitch glue and add some more pitch. Is your raw pitch hard and brittle? If not you might have to wait for the turps to naturally burn off or cook it for a while.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 01:24:12 pm »
It's sappy still so will cook it a while longer. Thanks Pat, Marco.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:46:54 pm »
Once you cook the turps out it should harden up quite a bit.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 12:13:34 pm »
I test it on a sheet of paper as I am making it, just drip a little on the paper,if it stays a little sticky I add more charcoal,if it breaks when it dries and you bend the paper I add more wax.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 12:25:43 pm »
I test it on a sheet of paper as I am making it, just drip a little on the paper,if it stays a little sticky I add more charcoal,if it breaks when it dries and you bend the paper I add more wax.  :)
  Pappy
Great explanation, Thank You. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,