Author Topic: **Beginner** Starting a Red Oak Board Bow  (Read 13442 times)

Offline bubby

Re: **Beginner** Starting a Red Oak Board Bow
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2013, 05:48:04 pm »
if you have good grain the difference will be size, the longer you go the more wood, longer a little thicker maybe a hair wider at 70", I think they are all fine, but I wouldn't go over 68" ttt
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2013, 05:50:35 pm »
whats your draw length? If its 28" or under 66" is plenty. Bub has a 29" draw, so those dimensions must work for that as well. 68" will be slightly smoother, but other than that you don't gain anything over the shorter bow.

Jon

x2 i'm building a bow for my nieces boyfriend he's 6'6" and i'll probably tiller it to 31" and I was gonna go 70" with that one

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 06:02:18 pm »
the string angle between the tips and the string will be less. This will prevent the bow from pulling into stack as your draw increases, causing the bow to feel like it is heavier than it actually is. But you still haven't answered my question, what is your draw length?

Jon

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 06:16:26 pm »
I think its 28....but I guess I'm not sure....as I said before I'm a complete newbie with any of this...sorry for the dumb questions  :-\

Joe

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 06:24:19 pm »
okay. Then 66" should be plenty.

Jon

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 11:43:22 pm »
whats your draw length? If its 28" or under 66" is plenty. Bub has a 29" draw, so those dimensions must work for that as well. 68" will be slightly smoother, but other than that you don't gain anything over the shorter bow.

Jon

What did you mean by smoother though? I'm thinking 66 or 68 but I guess I need to figure out my actual draw length huh.

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 11:55:12 pm »
I'd say 27-28 is what I am. I took my wingspan, minus 15, divided by 2. That about right?

Offline dbb

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 07:13:55 am »
I find it more accurate (if you dont have the possibility to measure on an actual bow) to hold your arms straight forward with palms together and measure from just under the hollow at the throat to tips of the longfingers.
That way type of body matters less.   I myself probably have organgutan somewhere in the genes  :o
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2013, 01:27:55 am »
Ok, I'm now ripped the board to exactly 2" thick. Only question before I glue riser on and start shaving...66" or 68"...which will be more powerful/better/smoother shot/ etc....remember I'm very new so maybe my thoughts on length is wrong...any advise before I decide is much appreciated.

Joe

Offline bubby

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2013, 01:51:37 am »
go 68" tip to tip, that will give you  66" bow ntn, that will give you a safety newbie clause, still be able to hit 50#

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2013, 12:57:45 am »
Safety newbie clause? Huh? Lol

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2013, 12:54:13 am »
Well, I started tonight. With my schedule, it's gonna be slow going. I guess that's ok with this kind of project since wood won't go anywhere ;). So far I've cut to 68" and glued on the 9" riser at center. That'll sit till it dries. Once I get further I'll post some pics.

Joe

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2013, 10:01:25 am »
I have my riser glued on and I like the colors on it.  I have drawn out my design and I was just trying to confirm my thoughts that when I draw the fade line in the riser...I should leave myself roughly 5" for my hand?  or is there a different length that would work better? Just wondering.

As always, thanks.

Joe

Offline bubby

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2013, 01:33:03 pm »
all the layout is in herehttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html