Author Topic: Piles of Free Osage. found it.  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Piles of Free Osage. found it.
« on: August 18, 2013, 08:40:30 pm »
So I went for a birthday girl hike party with my daughter at a local park I had not heard of. 

I counted 2 definite 1.5 more probable Osage log piles.  It is a hike to get to them kinda.  But there are some that are long enough to splice and get several bows out of just lying in piles near the path.

One looks like it was cut yesterday.  I can't tell what it is.  the end grain looks like Osage after it's browned a bit.  But fresh cut Osage should be bright yellow?  I scratched it with a key and it smells almost acrid and resin.  There is tons of hack berry in the area also. 

I was going to head back this AM and bring back a few logs but my  stupid neck slipped disk that I woke up with this am had other plans.

Online sleek

Re: Piles of Free Osage. found it.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:42:23 pm »
Where ya at? Ill go get it for you ;)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:28:49 pm »
Bummer....Hard to pass something like that up.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:39:10 pm »
If its not bright yellow, especially if you've whittled the end grain, then its probably black locust.
I've hiked out billets and staves before. It mightn't cost money but there's no such thing as free wood, especially when it comes to osage, tough heavy and hard. If you have the time, take a one handed sledge and a couple of wedges, and a hatchet. Split ,rough out, coat the backs with pva, let dry, then hike out.
                              Hamish.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 09:55:01 am »
Almost all osage is bright orange when you cut it but not all. Every now and then I would find a tree that had darker orange wood all the way through, the wood would be dense, heavy and very oily. 

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:09:43 pm »
Pm sent
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 01:40:14 pm »
Pictures!  Where are the pictures?   ;D   I hope it is osage.  Let us know if you get any good pieces. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 10:59:58 pm »
but there's no such thing as free wood, especially when it comes to osage, tough heavy and hard.

Ask Osage Outlaw what that free Monster Osage cost!  Sweat equity vs paycheck equity.  Good luck with your woodpiles, hope it's everything you imagine.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 02:50:11 pm »
gonna try to fenagle 2-3 logs out this weekend.  I'm not greedy.  When I get what I want I'll post the location. >:D

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:59:41 pm »
Cost?????? 
Lets see ..... Set in the ac and look at an empty bow bench and wish you had some wood to work with ooorrrr go gather that wood and know you have wood to work with .... NO BRAINER , I'd rather sweat and work a day or two and have the wood available than to set and wish I had had the wood.

Online sleek

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 12:56:58 am »
If your not far from tulsa I don't mind helping you load it up.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 01:56:30 pm »
I used to live in tulsa.  BUt now i'm in Iowa.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 02:33:22 pm »
Update.
got some wood.  Not quite what I wanted.  Biggest log as a big bend in it and large dead section BUT I think I can cut it there an mill it out to 36" pieces ish and make splices.  Then I got two larger branches. 

A nice straight log section remains there and I can tell the wood is old in it's location.  Most of the bark is already off.  All osage.  May go back with a home made chainsaw in a can in a few weeks and get more.

I got lost and couldn't find the other pile of the other wood but found some lovely black cherry.  the one I really wanted was fresh cut with bark still on.  End grain was bright orange and the wood smelled kinda pungent and acrid.  But it was still green.  I know what paths it WASN'T on.  :'(  Still don't know what that wood was. 

TON of Osage on the ground in 2-3 big piles out there.

Location is Big Rock Park in Iowa.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 02:35:21 pm »
Actually I'd like to go back and get more in the next couple of weeks.  Any local takers?  There are some big trunk sections that aren't too far from teh parking lot and I have a chainsaw mill so I could break it down to lumber in my driveway.