Author Topic: Agincourt  (Read 4872 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Agincourt
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:23:36 pm »
 I'd been reading all of y'alls comments for years and it seemed like anytime Bernard Cornwell's book was mentioned, it was mostly a negative comment. So, I haven't even tried to find it.

Well, I was in the bookstore last week and saw it on the shelf. So I took a chance and bought it. Now, I have to say it was a pretty entertaining book and I'll probably go back and buy some more of his books.

It was nice reading about something to do with archery that had nothing to do with Indians and Settlers for a change.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WillS

Re: Agincourt
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:25:45 pm »
Really? Negative comments? I must have missed those! I bought Cornwell's first Thomas Hookton trilogy book based on a forum recommendation, and have ploughed through all three Grail books, 1356 and Azincourt. 

There are of course bits and pieces that clearly were written by somebody fascinated by medieval archery but without true knowledge of construction - for instance in "1356" Thomas cuts a piece of French yew that he finds growing in a village and turns it into a warbow for his next "mission" without any seasoning or tillering!

I think he's an ace author with a really refreshing fascination and romantic idea of medieval archery, and as you said it's nice to get a series of books written about this aspect of archery for a change!

I can't recommend his books highly enough, especially the first book in his Thomas Hookton trilogy called Harlequin (I think it has a different name in the States) as there is a good solid amount of stuff on making the bows and the training required.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:26:50 am »
I enjoyed the book enough that I've read it twice.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:20:07 am »
I think the comments I remember was actually nitpicking about the bow information like you are talking about, WillS. Kind of like when you guys get into your discussions on the Mary Rose bows  ::) ;). I do know I'm going to read more of them now, though.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline llkinak

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:52:21 pm »
I have quite a few of his books, including the Grail Quest series and Agincourt.  Personally my favorite are the Saxon Tales, but in terms of books related somehow to archery I think Agincourt is his best.  I thought the Grail Quest books were not as well written.

I read The Fort and didn't care for it much, but I do enjoy the Winter King books.  I've considered starting the Sharps books, but I'm not sure I can make that sort of commitment...I'm not as strong as I was in my youth and there's like 800 of them or so.   :P 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 02:50:03 pm »
I bought another one of his books yesterday, this one is about the start of the US Civil War.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:41:11 am »
I really liked his books and read all of the warlord and hookton books. The couple of paragraphs about him making a longbow was what made me think I could try it and ended not being as easy as it sounded in the book  :o

Thunder Bay

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:41:10 pm »
I just grabbed Agincourt from the library the other day. So far LOVING the book!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:58:20 pm »
I too personally liked his books, I've read quite a few.

Jon

Offline PortlandJoe

• nock. draw. LOOOOSE!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:58 pm »
1356 is another great book in hundred years war saga.  a whole heap 'o archery and battles!  i wish he wrote more.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:09 pm »
1356 is another great book in hundred years war saga.  a whole heap 'o archery and battles!  i wish he wrote more.

I finished 1356 a few weeks ago. Another fantastic book, and it was great to see Thomas back.
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.