Author Topic: Laminate bows  (Read 1676 times)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
Laminate bows
« on: August 25, 2013, 03:45:52 pm »
Hey haven't been here for awhile so I thought I would ask a question. I have a laminate bow that i made that is boo backed hickory with an osage handle. It is a reflex deflex and I left it in the garage and it delaminated. :(  I made this a long time ago and didn't know how to splice so the boo is flat against each other. One limb is delaminated to about 4" away from where the boo ends. What should I do to get it back together? I will post pics a little later. Thanks

Easton
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline adb

Re: Laminate bows
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:22:54 pm »
Once a laminated bow has delaminated, it's junk. You can try and remove the backing and redo it, but you can not re-glue the backing in place.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:13:49 pm »
I've removed boo backing and reused the belly wood before. It can be done, but make sure all the surfaces are flat before you glue on another backing strip.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:42:05 pm »
What glue did you use?  Why would storing it in the garage cause it to delaminate? If your garage is damp I would suspect that fungi has already gotten into the boo and hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 12:05:14 am »
Thanks for the advice. Pat, I used  Urac 185 and it came delaminated from the shop's garage getting really hot (Oklahoma hot if u know what I mean ;) ) I'm sorry, I will post pics tomorrow hopefully
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!