Author Topic: Narrowed handle D bow  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Dazv

Narrowed handle D bow
« on: August 26, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »
Hi all!!!

I've made just over 30 bows now and a lot of them have been D bows. What I have seen a few times but have never made is a bendy handle bow where the handle section is narrower than the limbs. This is something I would like to try with an elm stave I've got but my question is how would you go about marking it out. I would like the limbs to be 11/2 inches wide and the handle section to be around 11/4 inches wide, the whole bow being 60inches long. So how long would you make the handle section and would you do normal fade outs like on a flat bow?

Thanks for all the help
Darren

Offline Dazv

Re: Narrowed handle D bow
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:04:12 pm »
I hope my question makes sense.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:39:07 pm »
And inch and a quarter is a little wide for a handle. You want the handle to be long enough to fit your hand it really doesn't matter  Not sure what you mean fades like a American flat bow
I like free stuff.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:44:02 pm »
I've made a couple of bows like that, both were short and sinew backed.  I narrowed the handle on the last one to 3/4" wide and thick.  The handle faded into the limbs.  It just started to bend at full draw.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »
Thanks for your reply, the bow I'm making is a bend in the handle bow. I'm just not sure on how to layout a bend in the handle bow where the handle section is narrower the the limbs.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:53:09 pm »
Thanks osage outlaw, 11/4 inches wide feels really good in my hand do you think it would work if I lay the bow out as if I was making a flat bow but instead of the handle being an inch wide make it 11/4 wide? Do you think I could get away with that? 11/2 inches wide just feels a little to wide for my liking.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:05:04 pm »
I would rough it out the same width as your limbs and leave it a little thicker.  Then keep taking some off the width and thickness until you get it bending like you want it.  If you only want it 1/4" narrower than the limbs it won't have to be much thicker at all.  If it were me, I would make the handle closer to 1".  I like a narrow handle.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 06:13:01 pm »
Here is the last one I built

Offline Dazv

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 06:30:00 pm »
Great thanks very much. Do you think elm will hold up to being that narrow? That handle looks sweet by the way.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 06:41:42 pm »
I don't know.  That's osage and its sinew backed.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 06:46:47 pm »
I think I will take your advice and make the handle full width and slowly work it down. Thanks for all of of time it's much appreciated!

Darren

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 08:01:21 pm »
I've made quite a few bend in the handle bows that have narrowed handles. The bow bends through the handle and fades. Mine usually are 1.25 inch wide and 1 inch thick for a whitewood.
You have to experiment to see what works for you because if you make it too narrowand not thick enough it will break there.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dazv

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 09:20:01 pm »
Great thanks for the advice guys.