Author Topic: Paint on back question.  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
Paint on back question.
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:47:03 pm »
Hey y'all!
So I finished most of the work on a new Yew bow that is a real Beauty. I am hoping to get pics on here in short order and take the bow, MaevenBow, out for fall hunts, but I can't do any of that until I put on the final touches. My wife, Angela, is a fantastic artist and quite patient with the brush, and has offered to paint the celtic knotwork on the back for me, I just need to know what type of paint works best. We have both oil and acrylic, high grade artists paint. I plan on coating with tru-oil when paint is dry. What is the reccomendation?

Wylden
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Paint on back question.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:48:24 pm »
i would personally go for the acrylic. the experiance i have with it has always been good. Oil is best for canvas IMHO.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Brian Hoffer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:54:47 pm »
I have used acrylic with tru oil on top with good success

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 05:17:26 pm »
Acrylic works well and dries way faster than oils. India ink works well too but you will have to seal the back first or the ink will bleed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 07:53:44 pm »
Indian ink would be the way to go.No chance of cracking at all.After it dries it takes a finish good.Try it out on like type scrap pieces first.You can get multiple colored indian ink pens from faber castell.I'm sure your wife knows of a good place too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:18:49 pm »
thanks for the tips! I think the India ink sounds great, but is not attainable for us right now, from the mountain. Perhaps I will pick up an array of colors over my travels this fall. It will be acrylic for this bow!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 12:18:32 am »
how about earth pigments, you can probably source what you need where your at
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 07:06:02 pm »
how about earth pigments, you can probably source what you need where your at

Yeah, we have a large array already gathered, and they work wonderfully for body paint with clay, but so far as perfected a good paint with them, I have not attempted. My wife makes most of her clothing dye, including the "mountain camo" colors for her new wool bow socks, from materials on the mountain. Bow is finished and looks great, will be posting soon!

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 08:16:16 pm »
I use earth pigments with great success. Mix with walnut oil or linseed if you don't mind a little yellowing. Its a two part process with oil. Mix the dust with a drop or two and work into a past then mix into a smooth consistency of your liking.  I've not used water but hear it works too. Stay away from organic pigments as they tend to turn brown over time. Hope this helps and good luck on your trip Michael.

Cheers!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 10:22:49 pm »
I've used acrylic craft paint (from Michaels) and then polyurethanes over before. Only did it once but the lady has been shooting that bow over a year now.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 04:03:36 am »
Hide glue works as a binder with pigments. Very very thin though.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 10:46:56 am »
Acrylic paints work fairly well for that sort of application.
Gordon

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 07:10:59 pm »
we used acrylic and i am very pleased with the outcome. will be posting bow soon. thanks for input y'all!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 10:47:55 pm »
Acrylic for sure. Looking forward to seeing it. Mike is correct about the hide glue as a binder, works great. Titebond thinned out with water works also. I've used it many times. I've even used thinned out Titebond3 as a topcoat. Dries with a nice subtle low sheen, and a very light tan color.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI