Author Topic: antler dogs?!  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Mike_H

antler dogs?!
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:49:23 pm »
Anyone heard of this before?  My wife and I were at the Bass Pro Shop in St. charles, MO and saw a training pack for hunting sheds with dogs.  When we saw this, we both thought of trying to do it with our dog.

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: antler dogs?!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:53:20 pm »
While I have never heard of that I did know a guy that had a shed sniffin dog. He always came back with an arm load of sheds from bleached to fresh.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:58:30 pm »
And that is why I want to do this with my pup.  Never have to buy billets again. :laugh:

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 07:39:58 pm »
I read an article in a magazine about a guy training his dogs to find sheds.  He explained how he picked out a certain puppy and trained it.  He even had a list of the best breeds for it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 08:09:55 pm »
Ok, here is my list of dogs. I have a black lab, a husky, a maltese caren terrier ( spelling? ), and then my favorite... a minature austrailian shepard mixed with blue heeler, and border collie. What would be the best breed for this?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:25:30 pm »
I would go with the mix. Sounds like it should have a lotta good qualities, as long as it has a good personality and trains easy.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »
Any of them if they love to sniff stuff.  But the black lab and the mix would probably be the best.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBoneheadpro. This guy does it as well.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 10:17:03 pm »
One of my first real good duck dogs was a black lab that would retrieve sheds for me if they were in the area. She found a decent number over the years on our treks in the late winter and spring when nothing else was in season. She was also fantastic at retrieving beavers that I shot on the job saving me from putting the waders on or launching the canoe.

My vote is for a dog that is already inclined to retrieve.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 10:49:26 pm »
My brother-in-law has his black lab trained for ducks and sheds its found some nice ones
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 10:52:45 pm »
Reckon I could start just by playing fetch with my dogs using an antler? Probably try teaching both the lab and my mixed mut and see which takes to it the best.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline wildman

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 11:01:36 pm »
I have a black lab that is very good at finding sheds. I used the same idea as you would to blind retrieve. You get them retrieving them first then use a command for the blind. Use that command as a search word.

Keith
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline wildman

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 11:29:25 pm »
Libby dog in action. We found our first matched set together this spring.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 02:39:24 pm »
This is a Cool Thread and Idea...

Gotta try this with my two Knot Heads...
Trapper and Zed, Chocolate Labs...
The Trouble Puppies...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 03:20:07 pm »
Gus, look for a brand called  "DogBone", they have rubber antler, scents and a training booklet.  When I have a little extra cash, I'm gonna get some stuff myself.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 03:36:42 pm »
Use a mastiff or great Dane.  That way they can bring back the whole critter.

Lotsa rewards and praise, maybe even a nip of jerky for every successful retrieve and a half decent dog will climb your neighbor's wall to bring you that shoulder mount 6x7 elk your he paid $3 grand to the taxidermist for mounting.  If you know what your dog likes best for treats, use that exclusively for a reward.  It will strengthen the value of the game in your dog's mind.  It may not even be a food reward, what if your dog has a squeaky toy that drives her wild?  Bring me a shed and you get 5 minutes of play time with "squeaky bear"!!!  If she associates the specific reward with the task, all you gotta do is get out the reward and she will know what you want.  Kinda like the old bird dog getting up from his blanket by the fire when he hears shotgun shells rattling together. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.