Author Topic: Quickie bow ?  (Read 8780 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: Quickie bow ?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 09:16:39 pm »
I haven't used a rock or fire for heating but I reckon if ol' Ishi could do then I suppose you could too. Give it a try. Time's a wasting.......Art B

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 10:13:27 pm »
artcher1 I was thinking of adding the the reflex with a hot rock I think I remember reading Ishi used this method any advice? also can I heat temper with just a fire ? and I also have a bunch of HHB growing around here not much hickory but I could find some
Cut a couple of the HHB and get to carving....Lets see a 30 day bow ;)
You will become addicted.

Offline Saxton

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 04:53:52 pm »
Day 1
Aug 27 , Found the smallest HHB I could, as you can see it was scraped up by a down tree . I was worried about it being damaged, but after cutting it down all was good (one on the left ) . I wanted to use the top being thinner but was pretty knotty. The base was about the straightest piece I've found on the property . Was afraid of messing it up trying to split it so I started chipping away the belly with the hatchet . got quite a bit done will be back at it tonight and tomorrow . I sealed it up with kilz2 latex . I'm trying to keep it down to basic hand tools . hatchet , knife , sand paper , file, etc. Its already starting to like a bow got more done then what is in the pics . Will have a update in a few days . What you guys think ?

Offline autologus

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 05:07:31 pm »
Keep us posted, it will be an interesting experiment.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Saxton

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 06:52:31 pm »
Day 3
Aug 30, after 3 days with the hatchet this is what I have it down to . I'm at about an inch thick at both nocks and about 1"- 1 1/4" on the limbs . Should I keep going with the hatchet ? Or let it cure some before I take any more off ? I sealed it back up with kilz and its in a cool dry spot right now .

Offline randman

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 11:43:38 pm »
If it were me, I'd go for a bend in the handle cus that'll dry faster than a deep handle and won't likely check in the deep handle area. Keep going.....you're going to be less than an inch thick at the handle to about 1/2 in thick at the tips. Take enough off till it just starts to bend at floor tiller and it'll season much faster. You're going to be down past the center of the stave (limb-trunk whatever) all along the length and you won't get any checking on the belly side but keep that back sealed up cuz you don't want any checks on the back side. I've no experience with HHB but I have with American Hornbeam and it checks like crazy if you remove the bark while green and don't seal it (and takes some crazy drying reflex if it's not strapped down while seasoning). Leave it full width (don't shape the profile) until it seasons more or it might warp sideways also.

A perfect model to follow is this post that Don put on about the same time as yours http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41947.0.html
And he's even using HHB..................
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Saxton

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 12:34:45 pm »
(and takes some crazy drying reflex if it's not strapped down while seasoning).

yea I can see that already

Offline Saxton

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 06:01:01 pm »
Okay update , Sept 1 and 2
I got this thing whittled down to a pretty stick finally    :D its been in the retro camper which is out in full sun It gets nice and toasty in there . Sealed it all back up with kilz and going to let it sit for a while . I've been scraping some sinew out of what I have left in the freezer ,which is mostly leg packs and some back strap . Trying to eat it all up anyways to make room for some new meat . I think will have enough to put one layer on for a backing . I don't have a draw knife , so when I get to the tiller I was thinking of using my hen rooster survival knife , rasp and file ?  Any other Suggestions or advice would be appreciated . This is fun  >:D oo and if cut some dogwood for arrows just bundle up let season and sand down ?

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 09:55:41 pm »
Looks great!
If that were my stave I would go for a handle that is 7/8 thick from the center of the boe taper it down to11/16 at the limbs 5 in from your center mark. Carry that thickness to the nock ends.
Width wise I would do a parallel limb to mid of 2in then taper to 7/8 wide tips.leave the handle full 2 in wide as it will warp some. You want enough material in the handle and tips to get the string in the middle of the handle. Let it dry at around 50% humidity for a week or two then put it in a car in the sun for a week and start floor tillering. Leave the ends and back covered to prevent checks.
Hope it helps :)
Greg

Ps. A good farriers rasp will be your friend.look for them at a local feed mill or farm and Gardner supply store. If ya look on line save edge is the best, i know this from being a farrier for 16 years before I got my RN.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:06:14 pm by twisted hickory »

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »
if that were my stave I would make it approx 2" wide at the handle and taper to 3/8ths tips. no tricks- setback, recurves, sinew...
and see how she bends. Then let it sit for a week in mom's car.
then tiller it out.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Saxton

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »
Okay so I'm going to try introducing some reflex to the tips the Ishi way with the hot rock . should this be done after tiller ? or at what point? The description on how he did it is very vague , I'm assuming that steam should be involved with a cloth , foil or something . I almost want to say from what I read he did it before it was seasoned fully . Any Ideas ?