Author Topic: Quickie bow ?  (Read 8781 times)

Offline Saxton

Quickie bow ?
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:44:46 pm »
Im looking to make a bow quick from a green tree or limb around 50#. What's the best way to go about this . I Know good things take time . What I am looking at is a kind of survival situation challenge / want something to take a deer with by Oct . Also half dozen arrows . I leave the head steel since I haven't done much knapping .

Offline aaron

Re: Quickie bow ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:54:54 pm »
any bow made from green wood will have disappointing cast- that is it will not shoot an arrow as fast as one made from dry wood. your 50 lb bow will shoot like a 35 pound bow. If you must do it, rough it out to about 3/4 inch thick and let it dry as long as you can. By the time you tiller it out, it will have several inches of set. choose a wood that tolerates fast drying, like vine maple.

not that you asked, but i I wanted to test my survival ability, i would practice trapping small mammals.

You could make a quickie bow out of an oak board.
do you have another bow you could use for hunting?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:15 pm »
Go find a 4 inch sapling such as hickory. Cut it down, split in half, debark both halves and draw knife the entire bow profile. Next polyurathane the back and ends only. On day two floor tiller the bow staves. Let them set in a cool place with air circulating over them for a week. Next put both floor tillered staves in a car with the windows up to quick dry them. Watch for cracking if they start to crack they are drying too fast rehydrate. This should get a shootable bow in about 30 days. At 30 days tiller the bow and go huntin :)

Note: this is not ideal but will get a shootable bow in most cases. I always end up w cracks when quick drying.
Greg

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:06:34 pm »
Yep as stated a bow from green wood will shoot incredibly slow and won't put a lot of energy into the arrow. You got realize there's no rushing in bow making your best bet is a board bow but still if youve never made a bow it's gonna take a few try's. I doubt you're gonna make a decent bow get accurate with it and then take a deer by October just not going to happen
I like osage

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:25:24 pm »
its possible.. IF you buy pre-seasoned wood :0
buy a red oak board 1x2 70" long and make a bow out of it. Unbacked. Shoots good...
my fave is a #55@28 red oak board bow 68" long, bendy handle. Shoots really fast... and the funny part is... I re-tillered it 3 times.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:28:16 pm »
+1 on Twisted HIckory's description.  I've done this with a hackberry stave and got pretty lucky, it made a great shooter.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 12:15:54 am »
+2 for Twisted Hickory. I did it with walnut and although it took some set it had incredible cast.
Springfield, MO

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 12:23:32 am »
This ash thing went from tree to bow in one month.

http://imgur.com/a/HfHii

Split and belly split, debark, and profile in one day, floor tiller two days later, half tiller a week after that, finish tillering one week later, apply finish after three days, using a closed up car in the sun after floor tillering to speed drying.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 02:54:53 am »
You want a survival bow? Go directly to Lowes, buy a package or two tomato stakes. Tie them togeather into a bundle bow. I made a 50 lb bow like that and it shoots great. Took all of 30 min.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 04:07:06 am »
I made the 'One hour bow' from Hazel with just an axe. But like everyone has said being green it wasn't a great performer.
Go wide and flat.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 09:36:49 am »
Jw and David,
Glad to see someone agrees w me :) I have made 4 that way and it works great. Just gotta watch for cracks. I am going to be down to quick drying maybe cause I went through 14 staves so far this year.  ;)
Greg

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 12:16:09 pm »
I don't know what your skill level is, but you can make MORE than a serviceable bow in the time allotted. Wood, once dried quickly, is still soft wood. Performance will degrade quickly. Now, if you don't want that to happen, then do this:

Do as advised, cut you some hickory, shape the bow out immediately, and seal (I use painter's tape myself) the back, ends and fades. Here, you want the bow as close to finish dimensions as possible. It'll dry quicker that a way. Finish out the handle and fades. Trick is to remove as much wood as possible for quick drying.

Now, in 4 weeks, if kept in the house between 40-50% RH, you can then induce some reflex as you heat temper it's belly without fear of checking from the heat. That'll make for a better performing bow. But, you can do better. Depends on how big of a gambler you are. Belly may be hardened at this point but most of your set will come from the back's fibers stretching. Gotto tighten those up as well. A very light heat tempering will take care of that. A backing of some sort will provide some extra measure of confidence here.

Good luck, and keep us posted...........Art B

Offline Saxton

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 05:31:13 pm »
cool I have a palmer recurve as my main bow . Just thinking it was a fun idea , challenge to see it done by Oct 1st .

Offline Saxton

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 05:33:03 pm »
artcher1 I was thinking of adding the the reflex with a hot rock I think I remember reading Ishi used this method any advice? also can I heat temper with just a fire ? and I also have a bunch of HHB growing around here not much hickory but I could find some
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:59:56 pm by Saxton »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 06:58:09 pm »
 Well, what are you doing wasting time in here...clock is ticking. tick tock, tick tock!   ;D

Don't forget to post pics as you go!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.