Author Topic: Danish Dagger  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
Danish Dagger
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »
My first attempt ever at a Danish Dagger. Got this piece of rock from Tower, back in the spring,  When I saw it I knew what it wanted to be. Just didn't know if I could do it. This is after two 4hr. sessions. Still not through but thought I should go ahead and photo catalog my process before something bad happened. If all goes well I'll post more Pict's next week. Hoping to get to work on it some more then. Thanks for looking and any suggestions are appreciated.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Danish Dagger
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:37:45 pm »
Really looks nice.

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 02:17:18 pm »
I have been struggling with danish daggers for years. Yours is way better than my first one. Here are my suggestions to make the next one more authentic:
Make it narrower
try to make the end of the handle be the thickest part, the whole dagger should get thicker from tip to handle.the cross section of the havdle is usually triangular or square.
look into other types of danish daggers- the type you are trying is the hardest
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »
Thanks, Aaron. On my next session I hope to thin the blade to handle area a little more. This spot has been giving me the most trouble. Also my handle area was doing great it shape untill a miss hit took out more than need on one side closer to the base.
knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:26:53 pm »
Looks really good so far! I was watching this video on youtube the other day about danish daggers maybe it will be helpful !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMDDcIdgsEA
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:11:18 pm »
 I've made a few.. non i would say turned out grate.
To do the handle you have to use in-direct with a punch. to build the steep diamond shaped cross-section required to do the stitches.
and to make the base flat.

Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:20:44 pm »
Sorry to dropp pic on your thread. but thought this would help.
 This is probably the best one i made. But the little square bit axe was what opened the door way to dagger success.
 practice your in-direct and make some little square bit axes and then move on the the daggers. Also i did lots of practice pieces were i made just the handles or made little mini daggers.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 11:30:58 pm »
Serviceable enough, Knapper.  Good luck with your next attempt, too!  I think the Danish dagger is the epitome of knapping arts, there is nothing knapped that makes my heart skip a beat like these!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:05:46 am »
I'll second that JW! I've never attempted one though have been saving certain rocks for when I feel good enough to attempt one. Nice work knapper!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 10:54:01 am »
I have only one suggestion Knapper, when that blade is finished, you must send it to me, cause i said so!!!!  Looks awesome!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 03:57:41 pm »
Thanks all
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250