Author Topic: new to knapping  (Read 1393 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
new to knapping
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:13:27 am »
So I have not made even a successful flake as of yet and my attempts have been few and far between. I live in upstate NY, and in my area I have found some flint and chert (I think) but nothing bigger than a golf ball sized chunk in crushed gravel. I was told practicing on thick glass is a good starter and I have acquired some thick, flat bottle bottoms. I made a 1" copper billet with some lead in it for weight and I have a few antler tips I thought could be used as flakers. I was wondering if anyone knows a better way to hunt for knapping material besides roaming the woods and stream sides and if these tools are up to par. also if there are any tips or tricks you could throw at me I would be appreciative. thanks guys and awesome work on all the really kool pieces I have seen on this forum.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: new to knapping
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:38:22 am »
I recommend contacting Paleoman52 on youtube.  He attends (and maybe helps organize?) the Letchworth Knapp-in at Letchworth State Park in western NY.  Plenty of rock available there and lots of knappers to learn from.

Here is one of his videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtRkD_t5MjY

There's also a recent post by some NY guys here on PA:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39097.msg520335.html#msg520335

Hope that helps.   :)

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:12:57 pm »
I second that, Pat.  Ken is a good guy, a little nutty but a good guy.   And he does I think, help organize Letchworth.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:39 am »
where in upstate ny do you live?

search for the onodaga escarpment, thats where you can find onodaga chert, maybe you live near it
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:53:00 am by TacticalFate »