Author Topic: Leopard curs?  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Marks

Re: Leopard curs?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 12:40:03 pm »
Yep, looks like a passenger seat dog. What are you planning on using him for?

Offline wildman

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 10:17:45 pm »
Tree rats and coons are my main target. We also raise American Guinee hogs amd goats both need a little help from time to time. If he will run a bobtailed puty tat I will be beside myself.I also will probably take him on my yearly raptor hunt in South Dakota. >:D
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 10:56:44 pm »
Lemme know when you are going to be up here next time, I'll introduce you to a friend of mine.  Brad does law enforcement for the USF&W. He owes me a couple favors, I'm sure I can get him to shake free from his busy schedule.

My brother is starting to have a grudging approval of those Catahoulas.  He raises APBTs and has been traveling to Texas to hunt pigs with them.  The Catahoulas are one of the best dogs for finding, chasing down, and baying up the pigs so that the APBTs can get in for a face grab.  Catahoulas are nuts for wanting to chase a pig into heavy cover, but the APBTs are psycho for wanting to bite an angry wild hog in the face!!!

How much you wanna bet that your dog will quickly learn to circle the tree to get the tree rat or coon to move around to your side where you can shoot 'em?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Postman

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 12:47:34 am »
I've heard great things about them, cool looking pup.

Pappy, sorry to hear about Sadie, she was a beauty.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 12:49:39 am »
Now I am the type of guy that doesnt get onto other folks about what they do even if I dont agree with it. But I really dont understand, why use dogs to attack a wild pig? I have heard stories about pigs tearing up a dog. So if a guy cared about his dogs, why sic em on a pig? Or are the stories I hear not true cause I really dont know.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marks

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 12:57:40 pm »
Now I am the type of guy that doesnt get onto other folks about what they do even if I dont agree with it. But I really dont understand, why use dogs to attack a wild pig? I have heard stories about pigs tearing up a dog. So if a guy cared about his dogs, why sic em on a pig? Or are the stories I hear not true cause I really dont know.

Hog dogging is a different kind of sport. It can be pretty rough on the dogs and they can get cut up real bad and sometimes killed but you can buy Kevlar vests and collars as body armor. It doesn't always help especially on a real gritty dog. I imagine its the same on bear or mt lions.

The reason to use dogs on hogs is the same as using dog on coons. You ever hunted coons without dogs?  Our hogs are mostly nocturnal and can't be controlled effectively with only daytime hunting. Around here they aren't just grazing in the fields like you see on tv.  The dogs cover much more ground and find hogs even when they aren't moving or if they are in thickets. It is the best way to remove hogs consistently from a property. Also they can put a lot more pressure on the hogs than hunting can because you can run them day or night. Pressure can cause the hogs to leave the area for a while.  Most guys do it for the adrenaline rush and in some states you can sell the hogs if caught live. In every sport there are guys who take advantage and some people catch them and release them in new areas for future hunting and that is not only illegal but irresponsible and selfish in my book.  Hogdogging is a risk/reward sport if done right. There are risks but they really give humans a leg up on the hog war.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 03:28:42 pm »
Maybe its because I don't have a hog problem that I just don't quite seeing putting my dogs at risk as worth it. Of course for me my dogs are pet ts, hog dogs are probably more of a tool.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:48 pm »
The cover these hogs live in are something you have never imagined in your worst hunting nightmare.  Often the hunters have to enter these thickets down on hands and knees just to get to where the dogs have a hold of the hog.  Yeah, the dogs are taking a risk.  It's a risk I would not send a dog of mine into, but then my dog ain't into that kinda stuff.  She's happiest yapping off at at errant squirrels. 

You ought to see the complex body armour some of these guys are building for their dogs! I've seen forged stainless steel gorgets around the dog's necks that are articulated to give and move with the dog's activity.  They add breastplates and shoulder armour out of thick saddle leather, too.  Add a helm and a lance and they are ready for the round table!

And because of the amazing intelligence of the pig, very few hunting techniques are effective more than once or twice in an area.  But because dogs can outrun the hogs, trail them into any cover a hog can scurry, and meet them on the hog's terms, they are often the only thing to put limits on reproduction.  And at best, they are only holding populations steady. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marks

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 10:29:06 am »
You'd be surprised how often the hogs outrun the dogs on their own turf. I shot at one the other day with my .44 mag in the edge of a waist high cotton field and it took off across perpendicular to the rows like there was nothing there. I doubt my dogs could have kept up had they been there. I could barely walk thru it looking for blood and believe it or not that thing didn't knock down a single stalk. We thought it would be easy to follow but know. Apparently I missed. Choked. :'(

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 05:06:41 pm »
I think I will just as soon leave those little piggies alone. I dont wanna become a red mud stain.... And it really doesnt sound as though bows are very effective unless your in a tree....

Offline Marks

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 05:58:01 pm »
They are effective for stalking.

Offline sweetpea

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 07:04:35 pm »
I have a boy that works for me that usually catches at least 5 hogs a nite with two dogs. His dogs have Kevlar vest and if he doesn't keep the pigs he notches the ears or cuts the boar hogs and turns them loose. He carries staple guns and suture kits with him and very rarely has to wake the Vet up at nite.

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 02:51:31 am »
I have a beauty of a catahola leopard cur, I wont run hogs with him, but Leo is my hunting buddy during deer/rifle season
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 03:18:07 pm »
I have a big catahoula mix that partners with a redbone hound in my yard.  They patrol our little farm and my neighbors may have hog problems, but I don't.  They are a tough duo.  I don't hunt with them, and probably pamper them too much, but they are part of the security system, and I am thankful for them.  The catahoula is uncommonly tough and versatile.  I saw Mr. Blue with about twenty five pounds of nutria rat in his jaws the other day.  He snatched it right out of our pond.   He will tree anything that climbs and weighs a well conditioned 90 pounds.  I forgot my gate key one time and walking down our long driveway in the dark, they surrounded me, all bristled up.  Both of them looked kind of embarassed once they realized it was me.  I am proud of them.  Good dogs are worth their weight in gold.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 03:29:39 pm »
mine is 90# as well, and that boy can run, and run
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹