Author Topic: *UPDATE* 48" Red Oak Board bow Completed!!  (Read 10686 times)

Offline skarhand

Re: *UPDATE* 48" Red Oak Board bow Completed!!
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 02:12:04 pm »
Thanks all for the help! I am so excited about how this turned out. I can't wait to start on my next one!!

I will post some pics with full draw after I give it to him tomorrow for his Birthday.

I spray painted painted the sheetrock tape backing black and used spray on glossy polyurethane for the rest.

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 04:13:30 pm »
Looks good man! Can't wait to start mine...

Joe

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 04:22:35 pm »
Nice job skarhand, welcome to the addiction 

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 05:47:54 pm »
Looks good. I just love to see kids with a bow in they're hands. :D
Steve Bennett

Offline bubby

Re: 48" Red Oak Board bow
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 07:13:55 pm »
get a roll of b-50 bowstring material and learn the Flemish twist, it is easy to build strings

Is that something I'd need to order offline, or are there any stores that might stock it locally? Hobby Lobby, Wal-mart, etc?

The only archery store in my area is about 25 miles in the opposite direction of where I live.
I have to disagree, you can get a spool of b-50 for like $10.00, that will make a bunch of strings, $25.00 is quite a bit for a bow string

Buy it offline is your best bet most local archery stores dont sell there bow string material but will sell you a pre made bowstring for what would be cheaper to buy your own material to make your own strings.
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 11:37:18 pm »
I am sending you a private message with my phone number.  Feel free to text me with your address so I can whip up a string for you.  $25 for a bow string?????  You can get a coupla spools of B-50 for that!!!

Grrrr.  Just send me your address by text message and I will stuff a string in an envelope for the kid. 

$25?  Sheesh, two bits worth of material and 10 minutes shop time.  For cripes sakes, this ain't rocket surgery!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 11:54:20 pm »
For the love of all that's holy, please don't give those crooks $25 for a bow string!! :-\

Offline skarhand

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 12:03:43 am »
LOL, thanks. I didn't plan on it...that is more then double the amount I spent on the whole bow. :)

I had just planned on using a temp poly twine string I made till I could order some B-50 and figure out how to start making my own. Nate will be very happy to have a cooler bow string then the brown twine I'm using, LOL.

Thanks again!

Skar

Offline stickbender

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 02:55:45 am »
     Beautiful job! ;)  8) someone is addicted, someone is addicted...... ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)
Take J.W up on his offer. ;)  You will be better off with it. ;)  Once you learn to make your own strings, you can call those $#$#@!#s up and tell them you will sell them strings for $15 apiece, and they can make a tidy ten dollars profit!  Sheesh!!!!  Better tell your wife to have another set of pants for him when he opens this present up!  Ok, like they said, now on to the fun part of arrow making!  That is something you can get your Son into with you, as you ease him into bow building.  Maybe even one for your Wife, so you can all have a family shoot, on the weekends.  Now a subscription for him, and a web name, and he can access all the sites, and see all the unbelievable talent on here.  Get him addicted to primitive archery also.  And you won't have to worry about him.....  Hey, kid, look, what I have, you can see visions with these, ....."Nah, I have to get home, I have an Osage stave waiting to be shaved."  A what.... ?  But you can get really high with this.....and I will give you a new customer discount......Nah, apparently you haven't ever built a bow, smelled the wood shavings, see the graceful bend, feel wood, and see the vision of the bow, that the stave will be.......  Huh?  Sheesh, kid, what are you addicted to?!  Osage, yew, Juniper, Mulberry, Black locust, White Oak, Red Oak, ironwood, Hackberry,Hop Hornbeam,etc.   What the? Hey Nate wait up, I want to watch you work on your bow, maybe you can teach me too......Hey Kids get outta here, you're bad for business!  ....... ;) ;D       P.S We want pictures of him opening it up, and a full draw, and him shooting it!
                                                                   Wayne

Offline skarhand

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 11:24:39 pm »

-snip-   

P.S We want pictures of him opening it up, and a full draw, and him shooting it!
                                                                   Wayne

As requested.

Opening:

Holding:

Lessons in the front yard:

Getting the hang of it:

He can't quite do a full draw yet, but after shooting for only 20 minutes he can pull it back 3 inches further then when he started. I think its more of a learning thing than a strength issue. A few days/weeks of practicing 5 hours a day and he'll be at a full cheek draw. :)

I am by no means a bow expert but I taught JOAD in CA for 3 years and I still remember some on my stuff from there, LOL.

BTW, Nate and I are going wood shopping tomorrow so I can make me one next. :) This time I'll make him do some of the sanding, lol.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:13:03 am by skarhand »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 12:59:40 am »
Looks like the kid grinned so hard he busted a tooth!  But it's always worth seeing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline autologus

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 10:25:12 am »
The look on his face is priceless, that is one happy kid.  The bow looks great, you did a fine job.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 04:48:06 pm »

OK, I guess he likes it! ;) ;D  All that work, suddenly doesn't seem like work after all. ;)

Thanks for the pictures. ;)  Good job, and a very happy Birthday Boy!  J.W. , I think he might have busted that tooth, trying to open the package! ;)

Wayne.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 10:50:29 pm »
Now that is a great picture, makes me smile too. Hope and your son get many years of enjoyment from your new addictions!