Author Topic: feathers  (Read 4221 times)

Offline bushboy

feathers
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:35:11 pm »
I saw a while back where a guy put feathers on the back of his bow,was wondering if anyone knows how they were applied and finished?thx's
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: feathers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:49:52 pm »
That might have been Dirty Dan. Do a search.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:11 pm »
I'd poly them on then poly over them too. But what do I know, seriously. I recall that bow. It was nice
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:49:25 pm »
Danznbar did a backing like that and it looks very nice.  I've seen it in person and its sharp.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 07:18:49 am »
BigA did one also,several months back,might search that one. I think he just glued them down and then sealed over till it was a slick finish. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:34:46 am »
Thx's guYs
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 01:28:54 pm »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:27:28 pm »
I have put turkey feathers on the back of an osage bow I built for a buddy.  I had put feathers on turkey calls i'd made in the past and thought it would look good,  Looks like other people thought so tooo.  Theirs look real nice.  I used what is called Flex Coat a two part epoxy used for fishing rod guides.   First step is to get all the feathers needed to do the job before you start and lay them out on the table some what like they would go on the bow limb.  I think there is two types of FC one thick and one thin, I use the thin.  Apply about three inches on the bow at the tip and layer the feathers down like shingles one at a time.  The trick is not to break apart the feather as you lay it down and as you apply another thin coat on top of the feather.  I use a very soft hair brush and brush the thin top coat on very gently.  Keep repeating the process a few inches at a time.  The FC takes a long time to cure. so keep an eye on it until it begins to set up.  by that time some of the feathers may raise up off of the bow especially on the edge.  When the FC is tacky I use my finger and push the feather down around the edge.  After both limbs are done and dry, I use a sharp fine file to cut off the feathers overhanging the edge.  very similar to the way I do rawhide or skins.  One final thin coat of FC over the feathers and your done.  I has a super gloss finish.  I have buff it with steel wool to make a satin finish. 

I did not have enough feathers to do the whole bow back.  That is why I mention to lay out your feathers before you start.  I'm work on a molly that I'm think about putting feathers on the working part of the limb.

Good luck, and drop me a line if you have any questions.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 07:11:45 pm »
Thx's d/b for the info!looks wicked!got some owl feathers I'm gonna try

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:13:23 pm »
Great............... would love to see it when your done.
DBar

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 11:40:36 pm »
Thx's d/b for the info!looks wicked!got some owl feathers I'm gonna try

Luckily you have different laws in Canada.  I'd love to do the same with redtail hawk tailfeathers.  Or better yet, Harris hawk tailfeathers.  But I can dream!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dbb

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 07:17:02 am »

Luckily you have different laws in Canada.  I'd love to do the same with redtail hawk tailfeathers.  Or better yet, Harris hawk tailfeathers.  But I can dream!
Is molted feathers illegal too?
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 08:57:17 am »
Any and all feathers are illegal.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 01:21:30 pm »
If it does not come from a game animal that you can get a license to shoot, or from an exotic species like English sparrows/starlings/Eurasian collared doves/peacocks/emus, etc, then no you can't have 'em.

In the early 1900's millions of birds were killed just for feathers and quite a few became extinct due to this practice.  That's where the migratory bird laws came into effect.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 08:29:21 pm »
+1 JW!!