Author Topic: How does one waterproof mocs?  (Read 4184 times)

SelfYewDave

How does one waterproof mocs?
« on: June 21, 2008, 12:18:07 pm »
I have a pair of elkskin moc boots being custom made for me.  They are not the modern type mocs that have a hard sole, etc...
These are purely trad style.

Now, I would like to hunt while wearing these....so, how does one go about waterproofing or at least making them semi-resistant to water?  And, if it is possible
how well does it work? 

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How does one waterproof mocs?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:37:29 pm »
Dave, if they are smooth leather(as opposed to suede) Montana Pitch Blend is a good leather dressing that will help. It is made with mink oil, bees wax and pine pitch.  You don't want to use anything with silicon in it because it doesn't allow the leather to breath. There is very little you can do to make them waterproof but the Pitch Blend will make them more water resistant and keep the leather supple.
      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:57:32 pm »
The best you will be able to do is make them water resistant.....for a while.

I always used a mix of beef tallow with just a bit of beeswax.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:27:36 pm »
The best you will be able to do is make them water resistant.....for a while.

I always used a mix of beef tallow with just a bit of beeswax.....

What He says!!! I always mix up...Tallow(you can use Lard)....not Fat....and Beeswax....spread it on thick....and heat it in over a Fire...or be Modern and use a Heat Gun or your Wifes Hair Dryer....heat it till it all absorbs....and I do it again and again...till it wont take any more....will not waterproof...but will limit the penetration...and the Leather wont dry out and stiffen up like it would with out this...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 02:05:08 pm »
bacon grease...i sue that for bows and arrows and its good for buckskin and stuff too...
Modern Day Tramp

SelfYewDave

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 03:34:29 pm »
Curious, would you recommend this on buckskins as well?  Does it make them greasy to the touch and uncomfortable to wear?

Thanks for all of the really helpful info so far. :) :) :)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 03:37:30 pm »
They will get darker....softer...and wont breath quite as well as without this treatment...mine arent greasy....they feel like a pair of weather proofed boots do...a little tacky ....but this goes away after time.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

DBernier

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 06:06:26 pm »
Back when I knew God as a corporal, (60's to 80's) and I did a lot more trekking. On my mocks I used a mixture of 1/2 boiled linseed oil, 1/2 turpentine and 1 cu.in. of beeswax. I melted it and then brushed it on. I heated each coat with a heat gun. I did this till they were saturated. In the winter I slipped them on over another pair that I wore with wool socks. As the fellows said nothing could be "waterproof" but this worked fairly well in the winter. In the summer the recipe worked good also. They just leaked thru a bit sooner.

Dick

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 03:41:03 pm »
eh i just wear erm wet till they dry out. I'v also used needsfoot oil.
Mililani Hawaii