Author Topic: Hickory Cutting This Weekend  (Read 1472 times)

Offline wahcheechoo

Hickory Cutting This Weekend
« on: August 20, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
Open to any tips on my first attempt at cutting some hickory to split for staves this weekend. plan on carrying to Twin Oaks in May to gain some much needed knowledge on making my first. It will be my first time so be niiiiiice.
Too many darn pigs !

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Hickory Cutting This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:17:43 pm »
Peal the bark off as soon as you can and seal the backs and ends with several coats of glue, poly, shellac, or something similar.  Look for straight bark so you can try to avoid twisted staves.  Good luck and post some pictures of what you cut.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:44:57 pm »
That some mighty good advice from OO.  and avoid knots if possible, hickory can be found real straight and with no knots.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:57:50 pm »
Big sledge hammers, lots of wedges and several friends will help a bunch.  Also,  a cheap hatchet to drive in the end to get the split started will do wonders for ya.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:07:17 pm »
I saw a great idea that Osage Outlaw had this weekend for a starter wedge.  Maybe he'll post a pic of it later.  I'm going to make one.
I also find a lot of good pignut hickory in thick woods that grows real straight and with no limbs for 20 ft or so.  I guess what I'm saying is if you can look in a oak/hickory grove for some your odds are better to find good staves.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wahcheechoo

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:14:28 pm »
ALL great advice. Osage outlaw did you say coat entire back and ends with poly or shellac? Do you mean spray poly(minwax)? Sounds like hickory is the devil to start an end split on.
Too many darn pigs !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:17:48 pm »
I would coat the ends for sure and the backs of the staves if you remove the bark.  Splitting straight grained hickory isn't that bad.  Its a lot better than elm

Here is my starter wedge that Bill mentioned.  I picked up the head at a junk store for a dollar and used the scrap end of a stave for a short handle.  Its narrow enough to start the split and a little more beefy than a hatchet.  The short handle doesn't get in the way when you start your first wedge.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wahcheechoo

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:23:30 pm »
Saw a bunch of osage out in the country everywhere I looked. I think hickory would be a better starting point for me. I. Actually did see several potential trees last year before leaves dropped.
Too many darn pigs !

Offline wahcheechoo

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:28:08 pm »
Short handle smart idea. Will try and post pics this weekend but will try and download photobucket if its free. I'm using a blackberry to post
Too many darn pigs !

Offline wahcheechoo

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:56 pm »
Gonna take bark and sapwood off when I get it home. Gonna leave some till may and try to bring to The Classic. Gonna try and turn a few duck calls to bring also to give away. MAYBE some ground feral hog breakfast sausage. Hopefully I can gain some much needed hands on.
Too many darn pigs !

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:22:05 am »
You may find the bark does not pull off easily at this time of year.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 05:37:03 am »
 Agree with Eric,Little late if you want the bark to peel easy. Just go easy when removing the bark to not damage the back.I always cut mine in late spring or Early Summer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 07:06:19 am »
Gonna take bark and sapwood off when I get it home. Gonna leave some till may and try to bring to The Classic. Gonna try and turn a few duck calls to bring also to give away. MAYBE some ground feral hog breakfast sausage. Hopefully I can gain some much needed hands on.

You really have my attention now with hickory AND duck calls. Hit two of my weak spots  ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 02:00:28 pm »
Saw you were from Tyler TX.  Is that where the state park is?  I remember going there when I was a little one, camping back around 1980.  Good luck with the cutting.  I'd get started curing your Osage now.
1’—>1’