Author Topic: Question about tree stands  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Question about tree stands
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:43:16 pm »
Hey guys and gals, quick question about tree stands.  What is a good one for hunting with a selfbow?  Any suggestions? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question about tree stands
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:07 pm »
You can hunt from the same treestand with a selfbow as with any other bow if you prep the stand site.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:19:03 am »
Stands are essential for me. I hunt flatland farm ground with little to no fencerows. We have to get up. Ive bow hunted full time for 22 years now. Two things Ive found to matter most with stands.

1. Never go above 15' to the platform. Find a better tree if you have to.

2. Never hunt from a stand if you never practice from one, it doesn't work. Hang one in the back yard and shoot exclusively from it before and during season.

One more thing. Stay away from stands with rails around them, or their seats. Climbers can really screw you. I use a Lone Wolf climber because they have no annoying bars and brackets in my way. You will hit them all the time. I like basic stands with nothing but a small 10 x 12 seat and a decent sized platform.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:54:24 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:59:56 pm »
I hunt exclusively from treestands and I pretty much agree with everything PD said. Stand prep as in trimming limbs and such is a must. Make sure to trim limbs for shots all the way around the tree. Theres nothing worse than having a nice buck walk behind your treestand and not being able to get a shot at him because of a stinkin tree limb. Practice all shot angles including the straight down shot, that can be a tricky one. I wouldnt buy any stand with rails anywhere on it as they will be a huge hindrance.

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:19:33 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'll get one before next year.  Teaching don't pay that much for all of my habits...I mean hobbies.  And PD I saw your build along and it was amazing! 

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 04:48:38 pm »
I agree with the above advice.  I use simple ladder type or lock on stands, no more than twelve feet high, no rails to get in the way.  Bought a couple last year from sportsman's guide that were real inexpensive and they work fine.  They were fifteen ft. ladder stands, but I don't use one of the three sections, which puts me about ten feet up.  I don't like being too high.  One, I don't think it's necessary, and two, I shoot better without the extreme downward angle.  I set up for shots on whitetails inside fifteen yards and usually put a little meat in the freezer.  If October will ever get here I am gonna get after them again, if it goes like I want it to. ;)  Good luck this year.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 05:08:24 pm »
I use a ladder stand and set it to 12'. In other words, I don't set up the last section. I figure 12' is plenty, and I've never been busted by a deer if the wind is right.
Be careful and safe, especially getting in and out. I use a rail around the seat in front of me, and never had a problem.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 05:18:35 pm »
I failed to mention. NEVER EVER NEVER EVER skip your safety harness! Don't care if its 36" square platform 6' off the ground, wear it each and every time your up there. Fall once and that lesson can be learned the hard way. I got lucky.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:23:57 pm »
Yes! You're right. I forgot to mention... WEAR YOUR HARNESS!! But, that being said, most tree stand accidents occur getting in and out. Be careful climbing up and down!

Offline Saxton

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 11:11:41 pm »
Yes be safe my father fell a few years back only from 10ft shattered every bone in both wrist cut his head wide open was in the hospital for 6 weeks he was getting out of it .  Every year guys end up in the ER from treestand falls . With that being said I like a hang on . Dicks has some good buys every year . Gorilla makes a nice stands , lone wolf is good but pricey . if you go the hang on get some climbing sticks . You don't need to be a sky pilot the higher you go up the more your kill area shrinks from the angle . The hardest part is putting them up without falling or sweating to death . always check your straps to make sure the are hooked all the way and not twisted