Author Topic: Bow Grip  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Bow Grip
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 12:28:41 am »
I use barge cement as well but if you're trying to secure an already done handwrap I'd just squirt a bit of super glue under there to hold it in place.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 01:59:15 am »
  I've used glue some (all kinds) and use it all the time if I'm puting on beaver tails. Beaver tails get hard but really don't swrink up alot. I cut my leather 1/4 to small soak it water for 2 days. But your holes a strong 1/8 inch SO THEY WON'T TEAR OUT .  I sew mine on with fake sinew. You wo'nt have any problems pulling ther sides together.
    Put a hot gun and a peice of 4 foot PVC pipe to  narrow down the heat on just the handle and let it swrink back up. The heat really swrinks it up. It will not swrink nearly as much if you just let it dry on it's own. USE HEAT
  This is how my friend CROOKETARROW said the IROQOUIS has always did it. They did it by heating rocks laying the handle on them. Guess I'm old school but not that old school.
  I have bows the handles been but on for 12 to 17 years the handles are still drawed tight.
 BUT THERE'S NOTYHING WRONG WITH GLUE.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 07:46:40 pm »
crooketarrow,
I used a rawhide beaver tail once, really liked it, and yes you really have to be carefull not to tear out the holes when lacing it up.  And I didn't use any glue.  Shrunk up real tight and formed to the grip good.   Do you use rawhide or tanned tail?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline RyanR

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 10:52:05 pm »
Thanks. I will have to try a couple of these ideas.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 10:57:32 pm »
I just looked at Bubby's link and that looks like a good way to make getting the grip dimension perfect.  Check it out.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 11:28:50 pm »
Barge all purpose cement.......the only thing I use for leather.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II