Author Topic: need some reassurance on a fix  (Read 8458 times)

blackhawk

need some reassurance on a fix
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:22:24 am »
So I've been in the process of pouring my heart n soul out,and all that I know into a bow the last week and a half...was going thru my second round of shooting in last night,and had another 40 arrows thru it,and was gonna shoot a couple more groups of arrows and call it a bow to be finished n sealed...WHEN I looked it over I noticed a teeny tiny two side by side splinters...the bow in question is a hickory backed osage with a walnut core tri lam...I never heard a tick or nothing(good thing I looked at it then)and the splinters are barely 1/16" wide,and 1/4-1/2" long,and barely raised,and I prob couldn't even get a good clear pic of them with a camera...they are located at mid limb upper limb...I immediately headed back over into the shop with the braced bow and shot em full of super glue and unbraced her down .... normally I would call this thing toast and an inferior piece of wood and burn it,but this ones worth a shot to save...its just too dang good and sexy not too try

Now hears my dilemma...I know my options,but I don't want a "visible" repair...so no wraps...I could rswhide back the the whole thing? Plane it to below the splinters and apply a new backing..ughh? Sinew back the whole thing..ugghh? Or I also have a python and boa skin that is thicker than rawhide but maybe not as tough and offering as much protection? Thinking out loud here..what ya'll think of gluing on a rawhide patch without a wrap and then the snakeskin backing over that to hide it,and maybe that would help keep the patch from wanting to lift off without being "wrapped"? Thoughts...?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: need some reassurance on a fix
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:56:35 am »
Hmmm...  The rawhide patch would likely be visible under the snakeskin; would probably work but I'm thinking you don't want to see the evidence of the patch.  How about a super thin veneer of hickory or bamboo glued over the entire back of the existing hickory.  Say, maybe .020 thick (or even thinner) if possible?  I could make you one and send it to you.  If this suits your fancy, let me know how long/wide the bow is?  What d-ya think Hawkster?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:10:52 am »
Matt I do have room to bevel all four sides of the rawhide patch and would be able to conceal it all under the Python or boa skins,because they are located more in the center and not need the edges...it might be a subtle bump,but I can live with that as majority of folks will never know its there unless I said something...oops..too late..I just said something...lol :laugh:  gluing another thin veneer or backing on might be a pain due to my handle oreintation ( reverse handle) and would require maybe a  lil more tillering when I don't have much room if any to do so from the belly or from the sides...my backing and core are a hair more than half the limb thickness already at the ends,and I already side tillered to keep enough ossge in my belly and can't take more off cuts I will loose stability if ya know what I mean..unless tiller from the back if it was a hickory veneer,but couldn't if it was boo...thanks for the offer..I'll keep it in mind and let ya all know what I'm gonna do once I decide what to do....and I do have boo on hand

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:13:47 am »
I use silk wraps for that(I like em even when I dont need em ;) ) but if that aint your thing..I would do a thin strip as Matt said... To much time and love invested to throw it inda fire  :)... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:27:00 am »
Yeah Brian...that ain't my thing on a lam bow...I don't mind them on a self bow/stave bow that already has some character to it...but not this thing...its way too nice looking for that kinda thing..but thanks for your opinion/input ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:35:15 am »
Your extra thick python skins will hold a truck back. Id go with skins myself. If you super glue the splinters down, then size the back with TBIII, Id say your bomb proof.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:44:39 am »
That would be a pain with a reverse riser anyway im thinkin...you could always thin the back till damage is gone... then give it to a little girl  >:D
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:52:48 am »
That's what I was thinking about the Python n boa skins too pearly...just not 100% of how much actusll protection you get from them...even tho they are thick and really tough....too apply them you have to let em soak for over a half hour just to make them pliable enough to apply..and when thoroughly soaked and wet they are still tough and won't even come close to tearing like a "normal" snakeskin will like d'backs,copperheads,and such

This is a mans bow all the way Brian... ;) no girls getting this one...

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:00:26 am »
Sorry, im a little ornery inda mornin.. only one cup a coffee in me, lol... Where would i find some of them thicker skins? I got a bow im stopped on. Thinkin it could benifit from somethin like that...

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:34 am »
Just stick to staves boardhawk

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 10:14:04 am »

Winner-winner chicken dinner Pauly!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:00 am »
I got mine via trade...most folks get them from someone who either owns them as pets when they die,or owners of snakes etc...type deal...lots of snake collectors out there and I'm sure ya could locate them and make a " deal" with them when one dies etc....understand? Or go to Florida and head to the swamps with eddie where they are invasive and taking over,and are a wanted criminal and need removed... :laugh:

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:16:05 am »

OK Mr who was shooting two boards glued together at elm hall  :laugh:

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 10:20:33 am »
Yep, I getcha Hawk.... Paul. You made me shoot coffee out my nose on that one! :laugh:

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 10:22:33 am »
What if you talked to Bryce or Keenan and got ahold of some good old west coast sturgeon skins ;D.  Those would hold it down, nice and thick and strong.